Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wyoming Mule deer

Old 09-03-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Wyoming Mule deer

My dad is leaving next week for a self-guided bowhunt for mule deer in southwestern wyoming on public land (little bighorn maybe?) with some co-workers. Neither of us has ever been east of the mississippi and all our bowhunting has been in eastern woods for whitetails. What tips could any of you give someone who has never hunted out west before?
thanks in advance for any advice
Old 09-03-2004, 02:03 PM

Default RE: Wyoming Mule deer

oops
I meant neither of us has been WEST of the mississippi
Old 09-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Be prepaired to walk.

Spot and stock tactics are usually productive.

Pay atention to the thermos. You don't want them to carry your sent the wrong direction.

Use the terrain to your advantage.

Good Luck.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:32 PM

Where I hunt in Utah, we tend to spot and stalk in the mornings, and if it's dry, set up on water in ground blinds in the evenings. Unless its very dry and you have pattered the deer well, spot and stalk hunting in the evenings is ususally more productive. You need good optics, patience, a good sense of when a deer is stalkable, and the ability to sneak. Sometimes it pays to wait and stalk the deer after they've bedded. At other times, it pays to go after them while they are moving and intercept them. For spot and stalk bow hunting, patience is the key. It may take 10-15 stalks to have everying fall in place. However, once you've pulled it off, you are on cloud 9! Most evenings, I'd rather blow a stock than hope a deer comes to water. However, if its dry and you've done your homework, sitting on water is a better bet. Good luck.