HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Can Call (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/71275-can-call.html)

phantombuck 09-02-2004 06:28 PM

Can Call

Anyone ever have success using the Primos (Lil - Original - Big) Can Calls?

MR.D 09-02-2004 07:05 PM

RE: Can Call

The only time I can say for sure that the "doe in heat bleat" can call has worked for me was up on Anticosti Island in Canada during peak rut.
I was in a snow squall still hunting and decided to sit under an evergreen and wait it out.
While going through my pack I found the call that I forgot I had packed.
I turned it over three times about 5 seconds apart and put it down. Was I surprised when I caught movement off ot my left. A wide racked buck was trotting in my general direction. When I threw up the scope I got and eyefull of snow and quickly wiped it out with my thumb from my trigger hand. When I found the buck in the scope I saw the outline of a very wide rack in the now blurred scope. As it ran through an opening about 50 yds. in front of me I took the shot. The buck went down after a short run. When I got to the downed buck I noticed that it was only a 4 pointer.
2 long tined Y's, 20inch spread with 2 small bumps for brow tines.
I was happy I called him in and got him but was a little dissapointed that it only was a 4. That was until my guide told me that it was the largest 4 pointer that he has ever seen taken from that outfitter.

So, for what it is worth, the call definitely worked there!

TURKEY FAN 09-02-2004 07:08 PM

i have used it and wont leave home without it, it works really well pre rut time

JeramyK 09-02-2004 08:24 PM

I've used it with good success as well. Had a nice sized 6pt come charging towards my stand last year. Had to let him walk because of AR.

mrfritz44 09-03-2004 04:43 AM

I didn't start having success with it until I used it in conjunction with a breeding grunt. A sharp grunt, followed by 3 turns of the Can, followed by a couple breeding bellows brought in more than one buck for me last year. My only complaint about it is that the call itself is noisy given it's holllow plastic construction.

nybowhunter 09-03-2004 05:13 AM

Used one last year. It brought in a huge 7 point right where I wanted him except...I missed! Maybe this year!

Bowtech9 09-03-2004 05:19 AM

As with anything else the time of the deer season is the key. Pre-rut & rut has worked for me. The rut is tough if the buck is with a hot doe, nothing is going to pull him off her.

kevin1 09-03-2004 05:33 AM

I used one for 2 seasons and never drew a single deer of either sex .
The call was used throughout the hunting seasons in conjunction with a grunt call , never again . [:'(]

dough boy 09-03-2004 07:33 AM

Absolutely!!! I called in a huge buck 2 years ago with the can call. I grunted and he did not respond. When I hit the can call, his head shot up, and he came running. He may still be out there due to a high shot right over his back!!! I still think about that day!!!

Pat Curtis 09-03-2004 09:36 AM

A couple years ago, I was in my stand hunting some thickets. I heard a doe bleeting sound...I thought it was my friend walking to his stand turning his can over as he made his way through the woods. 5 minutes later..a doe 50 yards out in a field starts bleeting..and it sounded exactly like "The Can." Right in her tracks...a 6pt buck.

My personal experience with them has been up and down. I haven't called any deer in with it..but it does get their attention for sure.