HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   whats your best advice for a beginner (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/71227-whats-your-best-advice-beginner.html)

dwstingy 09-02-2004 11:12 AM

whats your best advice for a beginner

Ok guys I am new to bow hunting and shooting a bow and I was just wondering what everyones best advice for someone just starting out like me would be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know a pretty good amount for a beginner. But there may be some stuff I dont know or somthing I should focus on more. thanks guys.

Stalker22 09-02-2004 11:19 AM

RE: whats your best advice for a beginner

You just opened a can of worms. lol :D

If I had to pick one main piece of advice that I wish someone had told me before I started it would be......hmmmmmm
When you buy or add something to your set up make sure your buying what you want and it's the best you can get. It will save you from buying a ton of the same item just trying to decide if it's good enough. You can waste a lot of money that way. For example if you buying a new sight. Check them all out in person not in a magazine. Look through them and then decide. Don't just buy one cause it looks good. You'll just end up wanting something better.
That and practice religiously.

Txnhunter 09-02-2004 11:22 AM

I've learned a ton just from reading everything I see here every day, and talking to people at the local pro shops. I've hung around during league shoots to see others form, euipment, and ask questions. I'm not in a position to offer tips since this is my first season also, but good luck.

gutshot 09-02-2004 11:23 AM

Practice Practice and practice also realize that you are a beginner and it's not going to come to you overnight. Oh yeah did I mention PRACTICE.

dwstingy 09-02-2004 11:32 AM

got the practice part down. i love practice. I think i chose the best hobby in the world when i decided to pick up a bow. now if my fiance would just let me practice more. thanks guys i want to hear more still

ButchA 09-02-2004 11:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Stalker22
You just opened a can of worms. lol :D
LOL!! :D

I'm going get a keg, fire up the grill, and put on some burgers and hotdogs. We're gonna have a party on this thread now! EVERYBODY is going to reply with ideas, suggestions, tips, etc... to help a beginner. [8D]

My advice: for starters, keep your distances short. Start shooting at around 10 yards. Concentrate on your form and accuracy. Do NOT move out to 20 yards, until you have the consistency to hit the bullseye repeatedly at 10.

There are way to many variables with shooting a bow which makes everyone and every bow personal and unique. The ultimate thing that helped me with accuracy was getting a peep sight installed. Some people like kisser buttons, other like no peep sights or kissers. Some like whisker biscut rests, others like drop away rests, others (like me) like the simple, basic, TM Hunter prong type of rest.

The main thing is, once you have your bow setup how you want it, keep shooting and shooting and shooting. You will discover what works for you and what doesn't. What is comfortable, and what is not. But I think the most important piece of advice is one simple word:

PRACTICE!!! ;)

Granted there is tons of stuff that I don't know and when in doubt, I'll ask it on here. There are dozens of guys way better than me who have been shooting bows decades longer than me. I started out shooting an old PSE bow at 10 yards and slowly got my form down, then moved back to 20, then 30, etc... I have Tru-Glo 3 pin sights set at 20,30,40 yards and use a peep sight. I shoot my bow almost every day after work and continue to practice. Shooting a bow is very addicting!

Good luck to you!

Butch A.

P.S. You want a cheeseburger, hamburger, or hotdog? ;)

mobow 09-02-2004 11:45 AM

Perseverance. Never give up. Don't quit. Stick with it. Remember, it's ok to get aggravated, but don't quit.

Kanga 09-02-2004 11:49 AM

I think i chose the best hobby in the world when i decided to pick up a bow
Woaw there bud.

this ain't no hobby, this bow hunting is an obsession

JeramyK 09-02-2004 12:04 PM

My suggestion is practice related. In my opinion you need to vary your practice. Shooting from level ground at measured distances is a great way to get started. However in the woods things will be different. Especially from a tree stand. Angles, yardages, etc. all change and will give you a headache if you're not prepared for it. Try to mix up your practices with some more realistic shooting situations.

JeramyK 09-02-2004 12:04 PM

My suggestion is practice related. In my opinion you need to vary your practice. Shooting from level ground at measured distances is a great way to get started. However in the woods things will be different. Especially from a tree stand. Angles, yardages, etc. all change and will give you a headache if you're not prepared for it. Try to mix up your practices with some more realistic shooting situations.

dough boy 09-02-2004 12:14 PM

My best advise...as mentioned NUMEROUS times...PRACTICE!!!!! You should practice enough to where everything is 2nd nature when shooting. Make sure your equipment is properly tuned, waxed, silenced, etc... Someone mentioned keeping your shooting distances short. That is a great idea. If you can be consistent at 10-25 yards, you can kill a deer in the woods. There is no need to shoot at 50-60 yards right now. Save that for a couple of years down the road. Welcome to the greatest sport ever......DEER HUNTING!!!!!! Good luck.

ricoace 09-02-2004 12:42 PM

Other than the obvious of course...PRACTICE...I would really stress the importance of preparing for the Bowhunter,s "Quickening"...The rush of adrenaline rushing through you at the sight of seeing a deer at 20 yards or less. prepare your mind for it and controll your breathing...easier said than done ;)

I lost what should have been my first three deer to "Buck Fever"

davidw 09-02-2004 02:23 PM

OK Everybody together now......

P...R...A...C...T...I...C...E!!

And be very patient.

c903 09-02-2004 03:14 PM

Learn the realities of bowhunting whatever game you intend to hunt, the actual tools that are necessary not just want you want, and put the emphasis on what you consider is the priority for you.

RTA47 09-02-2004 03:29 PM

PRACTICE, PARACTICE , PRACTICE! And when you think your done? PRACTICE SOMEMORE!;)

phantombuck 09-02-2004 03:42 PM

Perfect Practice makes Perfect ;):D

Shootem up870 09-02-2004 04:05 PM

if possible i would try to practice from an elevated postition. like a roof or from a ladder. either way practice as much as you can before the season.

shishkabob 09-02-2004 06:31 PM

Find a buddy,get involved in 3d shoots and practice.By going and watching guys shoot you will learn alot,you will also probably make some lifelong friends.Prepare for failure so you wont give up, you may not get a deer for several years and if you do,keep doing what you did,cuz something went right.

rybohunter 09-02-2004 07:21 PM

Doon't force your shot, and don't start trialing too early.

johnch 09-02-2004 07:30 PM

IMO the best advice I can give you is follow the K.I.S.S. princable . (keep it simple stupid) To much tec can make bow hunting no fun .

MO_Bowhnter 09-02-2004 07:39 PM

Practice :D

dwstingy 09-03-2004 07:09 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys I am getting my friends to bow hunt also so I got some good buddies to practice with. I am also learning from all yall. So thanks keep on posting things so I can read and learn. I am addicted to this forum all I want to do is read and learn more. Heck I should be working right now but thats no fun. Well I better get back to this no fun job so I can afford to keep this bowhunting addiction going thanks again.

PABowhntr 09-03-2004 07:14 AM

It might have already been said but do not get suckered into buying gadgets and gear that you do not need to be a trully successful hunter. Treasure each day that you hunt as if it were the only day you will ever get out there...and remember, each deer is a trophy.

wideone 09-03-2004 09:46 AM

I began bowhunting four years ago, I agree that unlike gun hunting, this is an obsession. I was fortunate enough to have an experienced archer show me the correct setup and form. Unlike some pursuits, there is a definate advantage to being shown the form and manner of shooting a bow. Then as was said practice and have fun.

NorthernHunter 09-03-2004 09:52 AM

My advice is as follows:
1. Read this message board daily to learn from the people who have hunted all their lives. Lots of good advice on this board.

2. Don't go cheap on equipment. Buy within your budget, but buy quality!

3. Acknowledge that you are a beginner and that you WILL make mistakes while hunting.

4. Learn from your mistakes and learn to understand how deer react to your mistakes.

5. Always be safe and secure in your stand!

justhrowit 09-03-2004 09:55 AM

HAVE FUN!!!!!

mnbohunter 09-03-2004 10:00 AM

1. Practice
2. Patience
3. Don't believe everything you read. If you spend much time here, you can find a contradicting opinion on just about anything. Keep your eyes and ears open to pick up any tips and advice you can but you still have to find out what works and doesn't work for you.

Good luck.

hunter25 09-03-2004 10:21 AM

I've got one that no one has mentioned yet...find a buddy that has some good hunting ground.

All kidding aside, besides the practice issue, get out in the woods as much as you can. a)you'll learn something everytime you go out; b)you can't kill a deer sitting on the couch watching hunting videos and eating cheese curls.

Good luck to ya!

dwstingy 09-03-2004 02:09 PM

im glad i decided to use this forum and not another one cause this one is clearly the best lots of good people here that like to help a new archer like me out thanks guys

Katbones 09-03-2004 07:15 PM

Thank you dwstingy for asking a question i should have asked myself. I am a new member and am learning the "ROPES" myself. My question to you is, how long can you practice now?? I don't know about you , but my arm gets super sore after appx. 1.5 hours .
Anyway, thanks again for the great replies you garnered from this fantastic community.

antlergetter 09-03-2004 07:31 PM

The very best thing I can say is(since pratice was taken) is start simple and work your way up. There is a LOT of knowledge to be learned, and a lot of gadgets and gizmos to mess with, but theres just too much to learn it all at once. When i started out i didnt have anyone to show me or tell me anything about hunting, so i just got in the woods and started teaching myself. I think i was alot better off that way because i learned slowly and gradually by trial and error......Many missed chance, close calls and dead deer later, I'm still learning every single trip. No matter how long you enjoy our outdoors, there will ALWAYS be more to learn!!

One more thing is when something fails dont hesitate to ask people no matter how dumb it may seem. I've taken several good deer, but I still post "stupid" questions on this board every other week or so. If you have the opportunity to ask someone with more experience, then take it. Good luck to ya!!!

wihunter402 09-03-2004 07:37 PM

I don't know about you , but my arm gets super sore after appx. 1.5 hours .
WOW. I keep my practice sessions to a low of 30 shots to a high of maybe 100. After that I think I am causing more damage then good.

nmaineron 09-03-2004 07:38 PM

As a relative beginner myself my advice would be to just have fun.Practice when you can and don't force yourself,when you get tired,put the bow down.I suggest reading as much technical stuff as you can and try to find a form that fits you and your bow and learn how to make a good shot and why how you hold your bow,how you release your arrow and how you mentally approach your shot affects the outcome of your shot.There is always something more to learn.And then there is the hunting side......:DJust make it fun for yourself,it is a great sport.Ron:)

dwstingy 09-03-2004 09:05 PM

thanks again guys i keep it at about 30 shots a day tops i was told that a few shots everyday are good dont overdo it and dont try to be a weekend warrior and go crazy on the weekends just. katbones i just try do a little right after work then maybe pick it up again a little later

Twisted Arrow 09-03-2004 09:28 PM

PRACTICE , PRACTICE , PRACTICE AND THEN GO BACK AND PRACTICE SOME MORE !

bownutt66 09-04-2004 02:24 AM

I am new at this myself so my advice is not mine but rather something that I read in "Bowhunting Magazine". I read a article about practicing. It stated a lot of things that I have read on this forum, so I feel VERY confident in the advice that is given here by all. The one thing that did stick out in the article though was the author said that you should only practice 15 to 30 minutes in a session. The reason for this was because if you practice past the point of fatigue and soreness, then you will create bad habits.

What do all of ya'll think about that??? Since I have read that article, I get up early in the morning and practice for about 30 minutes and then when I get home from work I practice another 30 minutes. I will pratice kneeling, sitting, on flat ground, and from 10 to 15 feet.

Am I going down the right path guys????

mahoningbuck 09-04-2004 04:55 AM

Find as many people as you can to hunt with, the more people you hunt with the more exposure you have. Listen to how they hunt and what are their tecniques. It is amazing how many people hunt that problems with #1 ETHICS! Develop a sound backbone and appreciate your oppurtunity to hunt. I have run into alot of guys who take more than they are allowed. Shot just to shot. #2 Oldtimers are a great resource. I have hunted with my great uncle and at 72 he has showed me more than most men in their 30's. #3 Watch what you buy. Every year there are always those new things that my enhance your bow/arrow/scent/stand/ect. Stick to the basics and see what works well for you!