Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Home Made or Store Bought >

Home Made or Store Bought

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Home Made or Store Bought

Old 09-01-2004, 02:19 PM

Default Home Made or Store Bought

I have an 8 year old boy who is itching to go hunting with me. HOWEVER, his mother thinks he is too young to set in a treestand ( I agree). I want to make a ground blind for us, and I am not sure which way to go. Should I spend the money and buy one, or just make it out of branches, sticks, and so on. He loves to watch the deer in our back yard, so I want him to see them close up!!!
Old 09-01-2004, 02:29 PM

Default RE: Home Made or Store Bought

A natural blind is free and a rush when deer get close but I don't theink you can beat the conveience of a portable ground blind. A lot of them set up in seconds and yu can place them where needed to hunt the wind which you cant do with a natural ground blind. I've seen some cheap one in the sportsmans guide. I think if it were buy one or build one you'd be ahead ofthe game to buy one

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/brows...a=&p=&bt=&pg=4

They may seem pricey but they are light and portable which may be tough to duplicate on a homemade blind
Old 09-01-2004, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

A natrural blind. Why spoil him in thinking every thing is man made???
Old 09-01-2004, 02:42 PM

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead in a pop up blind. Resembles the 100 sq/ft boxes the orange army prefer to hunt from. Just not my cup of tea.

I like to go all natural, plus your field of view is still 100%.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:01 PM

A natrural blind. Why spoil him in thinking every thing is man made???
Considering where things have gone with bowhunting these days, I have to ask; Do you mean the boy or the deer?
Old 09-01-2004, 03:10 PM

I agree the kid would get more out of a natural ground blind but shooting a deer off the ground was the toughest thing I've ever done. Wind, movement, placement are all key to sucess. Add a second person in a natual ground blind and the job gets twice as tough, can it be done? Yes but it's damn hard.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:27 PM

Homemade....It will give the kid some experiance in the woods. Good luck
Old 09-01-2004, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with a store bought for three reasons. First, you'll have cover from your back side in case the deer comes in from behind you. Secondly, it will help prevent your scent from becomming blown all over by enclosing it inside the blind. Thirdly, in rainy weather you'll stay dry!!
Old 09-02-2004, 05:58 AM
Dominant Buck

I've done both ,
but I prefer my pop-up for the reasons Maytom listed . The portability is great , you don't have to fret about what camo to wear , and the wind becomes less of a factor .
Old 09-02-2004, 06:11 AM

I've taken both of my kids, now 11 and 8 with me for years. It is not a hunting trip but fun for them. Snacks, blankets, etc. are a necessity. One of my favorite memories is my six year old son, asleep under my duck chair in the rain when I came back from putting the dekes out in the river. Classic!

Anyway, my son and I hunt together now and we have a ground blind that he had two shots from last year. Sticks and twigs and leaves and grass and a half hour of our time. It worked great.

Greg

Quick Reply: Home Made or Store Bought

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.