Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
If you could hunt at night.... >

If you could hunt at night....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If you could hunt at night....

Old 02-28-2002, 05:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default If you could hunt at night....

would you? I have often wondered if they legalized night hunting how many people would hunt at night. I for one would, but I know a lot of folks who freak in the woods when it is dark. If you would not hunt at night even if it was legal, why? NO lights!

The Tazman

Edited by - Tazman on 02/28/2002 09:08:49
Old 02-28-2002, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: If you could hunt at night....

Night vision gear is way too expensive. Even the Russian stuff.

Besides, a fella's got to get his fishin' in sometime!
Old 02-28-2002, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

NO... because it's not Hunting. It's just killing. Years ago I went with a guy one time who had a crop damage permit to shoot 25 deer from one field in Georgia. After about the 5th deer I was pretty much sick of it all. Shine the light, they just stand there. BLAM.... BLAM.... BLAM Not only is it NO FUN... it's dangerous as all heck. How are you suppose to "Know your target and what's beyond" when you can't see "Beyond". Thankfully, there's no danger of it ever coming to pass or for that matter brought to the table.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:42 AM
Typical Buck

One can bowhunt at night without using a light. Those moonlit nights with a light coating of snow would make for some interesting hunts.

Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?

It is legal in WV for coon, fox, yotes...no lights allowed. Well the coon hunters might be allowed....
Old 02-28-2002, 07:03 AM

I doubt it, it would be ridiculously easy at night, and I think I would lose interest in the sport pretty fast. Every deer around hits the food sources as soon as the lights go out, I don't think I'd get the same enjoyment out of taking my pick from the herd ever night.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:21 AM

??Huh, We can't hunt at night??

Hunting soothes the soul
Old 02-28-2002, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

There have been many ethics issues brought up over the past few months. Some are very petty, some are serious. Hunting at night, with artificial light, is not hunting! Right now it is called poaching. IF it were made legal, at best you could call it legal shooting! I doubt that we will have to worry about night hunting for big game ever being made legal though.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Let me clarify, NO lights!

The Tazman
Old 02-28-2002, 08:09 AM

I don't think I would be a big fan of hunting at night because of a few factors.
It would be more dangerous, would never give the deer a break from the pressure and would probably lead to many more wounded and unfound animals.

As far as it being easier it probably would, but remember deer have never been heavily pressured at night and feel safe because of this. If you started to pressure them at night they would become much harder to hunt as they learned.

I have nuisance permit hunted for a farmer friend. The first night or so is very easy but by the end of the week they will spook from the light and are much more nervous.

I would not support a night hunting law.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:27 AM

I would hunt at night if it was legal but personaly dont want to see it happen. We are seeing alot of people making bad shots on animals now. What would it be like if people were hunting at night with no lights? I think there would be alot of wounded animals running around. I have sat in the woods at night many times (not hunting) just to see if the deer are moving at night and the Quality of the anumals. I have seen some real brutes at night. This year after it warms up I plan on spending a few nights in the woods. My buddies think I am a little goofy but I think you learn alot about the animals by doing it and you sure see some neat stuff out there at night.

Quick Reply: If you could hunt at night....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.