Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

403 fps

Old 08-30-2004, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default 403 fps

Two of my friends went to our bow shop this last week and increased their speed on their bows tremendously. We go to a bow shop in Shawnee, Oklahoma called Tabe's archery. Tabe is the leading seller of High Country bows in the country and has designed his own bow for High Country. This guy knows his bows pretty well. One of my buddies went in there shooting 274 fps with his Carbon Force HC and came out shooting 365 fps at 62#'s and 29 in draw. My other buddy went in there shooting 367 fps with his Max Extreme HC and came out shooting 403 fps with a 70 # and 29 in draw. Tabe did several things to both of their bows and they both switched to the new Ultra Lite Gold Tip arrow. This is amazing to me that they have bows shooting that fast now days. I wasn't there to witness their bows shooting these speeds, but Tabe has shown me a bow that shot 401 fps, he shot it through the chronograph and I saw it with my own eyes. My buddy said he took his bow out and shot a target at 45 yds with his 0-30 yrd pin and hit 2 inches low. I am going to have to save about $800 to invest. You guys can believe what am saying or not, but it is the honest truth. My point of this post is just how technology is so unbelievable, we are doing things that were unthinkable about 5 or 10 years ago.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:08 PM

Default RE: 403 fps

I dont really doubt the speed,, i actually saw a high country rep getting up in the high 360s about a year ago,, and the chrono showed it. But when someone checked everything out, the bow was on over 70 lbs, at 30 inches, but the arrow was so light, it was something like 2 grains per pound!! thats totally insane if you ask me,, your just asking for the bow to blow up, i shoot about 5 grains per pound for 3-d shooting, andmore like 6-7 grains per pound for hunting.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen the add on High Country's website advertising their carbon arrows. They list a 70# bow shooting one of their Carbon Revolution Speed Pro Max arrows @ 30" got 342fps. The total arrow weight including the 55gr broadhead is 250gr. I can't see how the guy at the pro shop was able to achieve over 400fps. That's really impressive,
Old 08-30-2004, 09:10 PM

an arrow in the 400's range my god........
Old 08-30-2004, 09:15 PM

The speed on the High Country bows are a little misleading. To achieve those speeds, there are really light arrows that are being shot out of these bows. Like Angus said, they are about 2 grains per pound. When shooting for example Beman ICS 400's, the speeds will dramatically drop on those bows. To give you a good example, the arrows used on the High Country bows, were shot with a Bowtech Extreme VFT. Normally with a Beman ICS 400 arrow with a 30 inch draw and at 70 pounds, these arrows will shoot at around 350 with the Extreme. When using the lighter grain arrows on the Extreme, the bow was shooting these arrows at around 425. I witnessed that for myself at a hunting show.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Millertime........make sure you save $900 not $800. Make sure you pick up a kevlar vest, football helmet, safety glasses and some clean undies.

You do understand the actual specs on those bows and where that speed is coming from correct? There is nothing special about those speeds when you consider the specs, in fact there are bows on the market that with the same draw length, weight and arrow weight that would make 403 look like it was going in reverse.
It's just that High Country is willing to warranty their bows to shoot super light arrows well under IBO specs of 5grs of arrow weight per lb. of draw weight to give them a niche that no other manufacturer wants to pursue..........hey more power to them.

Personally.........I'd just rather play with a grenade with the pin still in it.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

Anyone got any waders I can borrow???

It sure is gettin deep in here!!!
Old 08-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

That's true, but the High Country's have the carbon risers and limbs that are not supposed to break no matter what. I heard thst High Country had a machine set up at a hunting show that consistantly dry fired one of their carbon bows, I guess it went through countless strings and never damaged the bow. They said it was dry fired over 12,000 times. Now, I wasn't there so I am not going to say this is true, this is just from hear say. But I do know that those carbon bows are pretty tough. I still have my heart set on a Hoyt X Tec, I think once you get up to around 300 fps it is plenty good enough to hunt with.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:24 PM
Dominant Buck

ICS 400 arrow with a 30 inch draw and at 70
Man, they must be shooting such a light head on that thing. ICS 400s would be underspined with my 125 heads. Can you imagine the tuning nightmare of a bow at 400+ with fixed blades.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:24 PM
Typical Buck

Then how come there are soo many carbon risers that have cracked?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.