Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What is a trophy buck? >

What is a trophy buck?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is a trophy buck?

Old 08-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default What is a trophy buck?

I was just wondering what everyone considered a trophy buck in their area. I believe any deer is a trophy, and wouldn't trade any I have shot for another. I just was wondering what kinds of bucks were in different areas? Here in Iowa we have a good supply of 120+ size deer, and they can make 200 although they aren't as plentiful.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:20 AM
Spike

Default RE: What is a trophy buck?

I've never payed much attention to size myself. And although I have yet to harvest a buck, I think of any animal I take as a trophy.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:34 AM

A good buck in my aera is 125". Although we have some big deer in Maine we don't grow huge racks. Every year there are a couple of P & Y bucks taken but they are the exception, not the rule.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

A trophy is something special, not just any deer you shoot, thats an accomplishment. I consider bucks that are free roaming and make it to matureity trophys. A mature buck in my area will score 150 to 220, but who cares about score? Taking such a buck is a true acheivement, thus you get the trophy. For most people it is a once in a lifetime buck. Be proud of whatever you choose to shoot, but a fork horn is no trophy! its a 1st rack immature buck that has not learned enouph to keep from walking past your stand.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:40 PM

In the Manitoba provincial big game record book, a whitetail must score 165 typical or 180 non-typical to qualify. There are well over 700 typical entries in the book and around 450 non-typical entries in the book. So there are some big deer out there, however if you are limiting it to bowhunting, any buck over 100 would be considered pretty decent by most hunters. The deer are tough to bowhunt and most bowhunters don't put in the scouting time to figure out how to get them in the large forested areas in the province. In my immediate area, our proximity to Riding Mountain National Park provides a large hunting free sanctuary for deer. Many large bucks only vacate the Park during the rut. So for this area there is a a fair difference in what is considered a trophy as far as a score goes. I think any deer taken with archery equipment is an excellent trophy.
Old 08-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The biggest anybody I know has taken is 125", but an average big buck is about 110" around here. I saw one last year that was pushing 130" but blew the shot.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where my farm is, central WV, anything over a 6pt is a shooter. I would say a 110" buck is where trophy begins for me in that area.

Where I live, in Ohio, a trophy is over 140".

Personally, any deer I can take cleanly and quickly is a trophy. They all get me excited.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

in a fair chase situation every animal taken is a trophy in my eyes
Old 08-26-2004, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with bob d. They are all trophies. I have never seem a bad one yet. They all taste good too.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:23 PM

What about the rank buck I shot when you were with me a couple of years ago, he definitely was made into JERKY!!![:@]

Quick Reply: What is a trophy buck?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.