Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need advice!!!!

Old 08-25-2004, 08:13 AM

Default need advice!!!!

Heres my situation....Me and my buddy were driving around in July looking for a new hunting spot. We found a woods that looked like a decent spot and we decided to stop and ask the landowner for permission to bowhunt it this fall. The landowner told us that it had not been hunted in five years. He said that he had to think it over, and he told us to stop by next week. We waited a week and stopped over again, he said he still was not decided and that we should come back in about a week. That week I injured myself and was not able to stop over until a few days ago. Every time I stop over he is busy with his farmwork and I never got a chance to talk to him. What would you guys do to get this guy to say yes? I really am looking forward to hunting this spot if this guy says yes because it is totally private and no one has hunted it in five years, God only knows what deer could be in that woods!

Bowhunter_45
Old 08-25-2004, 08:19 AM

Default RE: need advice!!!!

Maybe you caould try and catch him early in the morning and bring him a coffee. I know that would warm me up. Dose he always seem to be busy when you catch him or just indecisive?
Old 08-25-2004, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Offer to help him out around his farm if he is really that busy? or heck bake him a cake! offer to cook him dinner- last resort--BEG!!!!![&:]--sorry i am not much help
Old 08-25-2004, 08:33 AM

I would say your biggest problem is he doesn't know you. You are going to have to find a way to get to know him. That may be helping him out in someway. Around the farm or something. Does he need any wood cut? Fence fixed? ect...
Old 08-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Helping with farmwork is probably the way to go. You said yourself that he always seems busy with work. Just ask him if he'd be willing to let you hunt in exchange for a couple days of help.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

! A coffee and a helping hand can work miracles for you in this situation .I'm sure there will be times he could use your help around the farm . Even if he say's no you can still offer to help him out ,this will give him some time to get to know you as well.

nubo
Old 08-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Helping with farmwork is probably the way to go
Exactly..........any farmer with the chores they have everyday will be more than happy to have someone help. Does he have crops? If so here is a sales technique you can use..........ask him how many deer he thinks is on his propery( if he dont know give him a big number) then give him a statistic like.........each deer will eat 10lbs of food per day, multiply that by the number of deer,(you need to get some facts before u do this like how much of corn or soy beans cost by the pound) then add that number and tell him he is losing that much money per year from the deer! Here is the close....................Mr.Farmer, how does that make you feel that these deer are basically eating money out of your wallet? See what he says then...........hope this give u an idea.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:20 AM

Until the farmer gets to know you he will always be busy and indecisive. You've got to understand that he's heard it all before and most likely had a bad experience or two in the past. Trust is hard to build and you've got to be willing to put in the time.

The other's suggested offering to help out around the farm. That helps but won't be accepted by him until he gets to know you some. Find out who he knows and where he does business in the area (ie: feed store, parts shop, diner). Maybe you know some of the same people. He'd be more willing to talk to you if he hears what a great guy you are from a few people he trusts and respects.

I'd also suggest, if your a family man that you take along your kids. I've never met a farmer who didn't like showing kids around the farm, teaching them about the machines and animals.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:31 AM

Thanks for all of the advice guys. I think he could be hesitant to answer me becuase I am only 17 and he may think that I will be irresponsible and not respect his land, but the truth is that I am a very respectable person when it comes to hunting other peoples property. He said that he apreciates that I came and asked him instead of just going on his property without permission. I will offer my help on his farm next time I talk to him. Thanks again for all the input!

Bowhunter_45
Old 08-25-2004, 09:35 AM

Next time you go...be sincere...explain some of your hunting tactics...how you always take care of property and respect nature...explain that you will be in and out of his property with minimal disturbance to his everyday activities...and then offer to share the harvested meat with he and his family. If that doesn't work, nothing will and he is just stalling trying to avoid telling you no.

Quick Reply: need advice!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.