Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 02-28-2002, 11:18 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-28-2002, 05:45 PM

Default RE: Pope and Young. . . should they count?

I would bet you there are several deer listed in their record book that were killed with 75% and 80% letoff. I have one in there that was killed with a Bear Magnum Hunter-45% letoff. When I filled the application out they only asked what kind of bow was used and what % letoff. They don't ask for any proof, just your word, and you think that everyone listed in the records was honest about it then I have a floating island I'd like to sell you. Good hunting.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with frank. Getting your buck in P&Y doesn't make it any more or less of a trophy. I personally got a bow with 65% but the chances of me getting a buck that would qualify are slim. but i doubt i will put it in even if i do get one.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:47 PM

All of you guys who think they shuld change the rules to let the +65% letoff into the books should start your own "private club". I want to get into bowhunting this next year and I could care less if my buck gets into the "book". Maybe once I start hunting with a bow I'll cahnge my mind and maybe there will be enough guys to initiate a private group honoring bucks over the 65% letoff rule. Who knows?
Old 03-01-2002, 12:26 PM

Play by their rules or do not play at all.. On a side lite.....what is the minimum score that a deer must achieve to be enterd in the p&Y books?
Old 03-01-2002, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

The 65% let off rule is the rule that the club set many years ago, so they have every right to adhere to that rule if they want to. Personally I think that it wouldn't hurt anything to change it because any deer with a bow is a trophy and truthfully, that extra 5-15% let off really doesn't make that kill a whole lot easier or make the hunt for that animal any different. But as I said ,that is the cutoff in letoff that they set so they can stick with it if they choose. I killed a P & Y buck about 4 years ago with a legal 65% letoff and still didn't enter it in the P & Y record book. All you get is a line in little letters in the book and a piece of paper with the measurements. Big Deal. That is more of an ego thing really. Man I am just as proud of that trophy whether it was in the book or not. It really doesn't matter. I am proud of all my bowkills. That competing against others and just going to get your name in a book isn't for me. Man, I just love to bowhunt and cherish my time in the stand. No book or award can compete with that.
Old 03-01-2002, 02:04 PM

I agree with huntflinger22
Old 03-01-2002, 02:07 PM

How would anyone know if you changed your setup or not? I don't remember a phone in the forest that was a hotline to P&Y, nor do I remember a P&Y checkstation. Obviously the hunter would know.

But again, who cares.

"It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase"
Old 03-01-2002, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

hey Pheonix its 125 for whities....you can look at the P&Y's page on the internet. I do believe you need adobe acrobate 4.0 but its free so there ya go....

http://www.pope-young.org/
Old 03-01-2002, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

P&Y is a nice club and all, but I believe the become more irrelevent as each day passes. With so much focus on score, rack size whatever, does anybody stop to ask if a buck is P&Y legal? If a guy legitemately shot a typical buck with a bow that scored 210, does anybody care if it was shot with P&Y standards? It's still a world record bow shot whitetail-who's P&Y?

For example, what about a guy that uses an 80% let-off bow, with no sights and fingers, and another guy uses all the gadgets and trinkets, but has 65% let-off. Did the guy with 65% earn it more than the 80% guy?

That's why P&Y becomes more irrelevant as each day passes.

I used a 65% let-off bow last year, and I'll probably use an 80% this year, used 80% for several years before that, and 65 or 50 before that, but to tell you the truth, this is the most I've thought about P&Y ever.

I feel they will eventually wither into a pool of irrelevance, along with pet rocks and hool-a-hoops.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.