Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow damage in hot car? >

Bow damage in hot car?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow damage in hot car?

Old 08-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bow damage in hot car?

I have always heard that your not suppose to leave a bow in a hot car because it can damage it. I was wondering if this is just for long term exposure. My ac recently went out on my car and when driving to the bow shop I was sweating like crazy. It was definately hot but barable. If a human can stand the heat than its not enough to damage a bow right? What kind of exposure is needed to damage a bow.

I know my bow is fine because it wasn't hot to touch when I got home I am just trying to get a general idea because I'm always paranoid about leaving it in the car while i'm in a different store so I always make the bow shop the only stop.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bow damage in hot car?

That saying is pertaining to leaving a bow in a hot car, windows up and no air..blah.....because it can damage, in fact I've seen many explode....If your moving or in the car, it's fine but don't leave it in direct sunlight in the car as the glass can intensify the heat to the bow....cover it with blankets or insulate it from the heat......
Old 08-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Off topic but this brings to mind the days of melting 8 tracks and cassette tapes in the rear window. LOL
Old 08-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Id avoid leaving it in the car but if you have to id put it a case and try and keep it out of the sun like in the trunk or something
Old 08-24-2004, 01:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's when you lock the bow up in the car on a hot day with the windows rolled up and the vehicle, in direct sunlight. THAT is when the air temps inside the car get hot enough to damage a bow. It's especially true for laminated limbs. Solid glass limbs aren't immune, but they can stand a bit more abuse. Never leave your bow where it can get too hot to touch.

Even if the bow does get that hot and your limbs do manage to hang together, letting the bow get hot will really cause your string and cable(s) to creep. A LOT! Having to retun would a certaintly. Having to replace the string/cable(s) would be possibility. It's always a good idea to at least keep your bow in the shade.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Also............i dont reccommend your arrows in the heat either, it can loosen the inserts, and knocks.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:10 PM

I can vouch for some delaminated limbs !! [8D]

And I wouldn't say that the bow was very hot to the touch even!! One time hardly at all..............one time fairly warm.....but not hot !! Haven't done it again though !!
Old 08-24-2004, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

CBM SC How long did you leave it in your car for?
Old 08-24-2004, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

WELL SINCE YOU DONT KNOW MY REAL NAME ILL TELL YA MY STORIE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I HAD A GOLDEN EAGLE SPLITFIRE 32 AND IT WAS ONLY A YEAR OLD , WELL I WANTED TO GO TO THE LOCAL BOW SHOP AND SHOOT FOR A WHILE IT WAS THE 2ND WEEK IN AUG. MY SON ALONG WITH MY WIFE AND BUDDIE WERE RIDING IN THE CAR WITH ME SO I STUCK MY BOW IN THE TRUNK, WELL HAD TO STOP AT WALMART ON THE WAY WE WERE THERE FOR AN HOUR AND THEN OFF THE THE BOW SHOP ,, SET THE TARGET UP IN THE MIDDLE OF ABOUT 15 OTHER GUYS , EVERYONE STARTED SHOOTING SO I KNOCKED A ARROW AND DREW BACK BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM THE SPLIT LIMBS EXPLODED IN MY FACE , HOW EMBARASING I THREW IT DOWN AND YELL DAMN GOLDEN EAGLES THEY SUCK ILL NEVER BYE ANOTHER ONE AND I NEVER TOLD ANYONE WHAT I HAVE DONE, NOW EVERYONE KNOWS HOW I DID IT
Old 08-24-2004, 07:14 PM

TOTALLY AGREE !!!
ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

That saying is pertaining to leaving a bow in a hot car, windows up and no air..blah.....because it can damage, in fact I've seen many explode....If your moving or in the car, it's fine but don't leave it in direct sunlight in the car as the glass can intensify the heat to the bow....cover it with blankets or insulate it from the heat......

Quick Reply: Bow damage in hot car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.