Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Recommendations on a new grip for my MQ1? >

Recommendations on a new grip for my MQ1?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Recommendations on a new grip for my MQ1?

Old 08-24-2004, 07:37 AM

Default Recommendations on a new grip for my MQ1?

It's always been a little "fat" for my liking and has always had a bit of a 'creak' to it due to poor factory installation. If I tear it off to reinstall it, I'd prefer to replace it with a better one. Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a good replacement? Cost?

Thanks. -BB
Old 08-24-2004, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recommendations on a new grip for my MQ1?

I know what you mean about he original Mathews grips. They are bulky and IMO cause many to torque. I vote for a custom modification that you can do yourself. Or, you can wrap the riser with some cloth or something and shoot right off the riser.

Here’s what I did:
Get a file and some different grits of sandpaper and reshape it to custom specs. I used a 4 way file(coarse flat rasp, coarse round rasp, fine flat file, fine round file all in one unit) to take the heavy wood off. Then 120 grit to remove the file marks….then 180 to remove the 120’s marks….then finished up with 220….then polyurethane. Pop your grip off, do the modifications and then re-glue it into place. You get a custom grip for next to nothing or free if you’ve got that stuff laying around the basement or garage. And look at it this way, if you destroy it or don’t like the outcome you can then drop the money on a Loesch or Shrewd.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:03 AM

I suppose I could give that a try. The only thing is, the people that make them professionally presumably know what a good design is. Although, now that I think about it, I'm not crazy about my professional Mathews grip [&:].

Do you have any info on the Shrewd and Loesch grip that you mentioned? I haven't done any research on it yet. Perhaps I ought to do a search here.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:34 AM

What ever you do don't get rid of your Q1 I have a Q1, lx,legacy and a Q2 out of all those bows the best all around shooter is my Q1 i would not trade it for a brand new Outback.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Texarkanimal

What ever you do don't get rid of your Q1 I have a Q1, lx,legacy and a Q2 out of all those bows the best all around shooter is my Q1 i would not trade it for a brand new Outback.
I love my MQ1, as well. I thought about "upgrading" last season with a Legacy, but the guy selling them at the proshop actually TALKED ME OUT OF IT! I figured it was time to update my technology, but he said my bow is superior in many ways. I had to believe him. Why would he lie himself out of a $680 sale?!
Old 08-24-2004, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

I know what you mean on the Mathews grip. I found a few others online... a bit pricey... but they offer a good number to choose from. The Shrewd grip is very nice, but it is aluminum... which to me would be pretty cold in the fall / winter months.

I have a set of custom grip panels coming this week made from carbon fiber for my Mathews. I've been shooting it right off the riser for now. It works well, but it's a rather thin surface area. The carbon fiber grips should be pretty interesting.... I'll have to post a pic when they are done. These links should work for the online grips...

http://www.bowgrips.com/

http://www.shrewd-one.com/index.html...tml&lang=en-us
Old 08-24-2004, 10:03 AM

I see that Shrewd grips are made in a Standard and a Low-Rise style. I'm assuming that the Standard is a skinny one-piece and the Low-Rise is what the Loesch site calls a sideplate style. Can someone confirm? Which is preferred for hunting? How does it affect shooting technique? I'm getting an education here. Thanks to all.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know for sure if the "low rise" Shrewd is a panel set... but I'm going to wager a guess that it's not. I think it's got just a little less material on the back, which would be more like shooting off the riser.

I played around with the original grip that came with my Mathews, but I took the majority of the material away with a band saw. I worked the rest of it down on a 1" belt sander with progressively finer grits... then did the curves with the drum sander on the dremel. I finished it off with 2 coats of Tru-oil gunstock finish and Walla, a nice Shrewd looking grip.

The only bad thing for me was that I kept shooting it off the riser while the Tru-oil set up for a couple days and now I like shooting it off the riser better. I just got my carbon fiber grip panels tonight so I'll add a pic. I'll also add a pic of my re-worked stock Mathews walnut grip. It turned out very nice indeed.

Old 08-24-2004, 08:38 PM

I would not trade my MQ1 for any other bow mathews makes either.I have been wanting to alter my grip as well but do not know how to get it off. can you guys help me?
Old 08-25-2004, 06:53 AM

ORIGINAL: shishkabob

I would not trade my MQ1 for any other bow mathews makes either.I have been wanting to alter my grip as well but do not know how to get it off. can you guys help me?
Sure can. I took mine off yesterday afternoon. I used a small chisel which fit into the slight gap between the riser and grip. The adhesive is only on the surface of the riser that is facing toward you as you hold the bow in the drawn position. Gently tap the chisel or screw driver in from above, between the glued surfaces. It actually popped off fairly easily once I figured out where the glue was. Don't pry anywhere else but between the glued surfaces. The grip is quite fragile on the sides. Good luck.