Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shot down again on land permission >

Shot down again on land permission

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot down again on land permission

Old 08-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shot down again on land permission

Feels like my grade 12 prom, everyone I ask is saying NO!. No one wants to have hunters on their land UG!.

(needed to cry on someone shoulder)
Old 08-22-2004, 01:02 PM

Default RE: Shot down again on land permission

I hear ya, keep trying. if that doesnt work use the line that finely worked for my 12th grade prom....."I have cash"
Old 08-22-2004, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have asked people for permission that have told everyone else NO. they have even told me this many times. first thing is, dont call them on the phone. go over to their house and ask them personally. they are more prone to say yes when you ask them face to face. this is what i do: i walk up to the person's house and knock on the door. [ i wear a decent pair of clothes, nothing fancy but some everyday clothes that i would wear to school that are nice and presentable. not clothes i just got done mowing the lawn in] when the guy answers, address him by his last name [ex: hello Mr. Johnson] my name is_______. after that i shake his hand. try to use good manors, have good posture, and make good eye contact. i tell him where i live and that i am looking for a place to bow hunt. i also tell them that i am repsectful of other people's property and that i am willing to do whatever it takes to be allowed to hunt. tell him you will do any work that he needs to be done around the house.

hope this helps you

oh and i know that this probably sounds stupid and sounds dumb but now i have 3 additional farms to hunt since i started bow hunting last year.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tryed for several years asking to hunt a area with several large bucks , I finely got permission for a farm a mile away and the next year I ask the owner to introduce me to several other land owners .Still don't have permission for the main woods but now I have permission for hunting on 2 edges with finger of woods going into the main woods . Today I talked to the woods I want to hunt when he saw me hanging a stand ,he came over to check that I had permission . I will ask again next year
Old 08-22-2004, 04:01 PM

I guess I'am just lucky in PA. I hunt on 4 private farms that I asked permmision to hunt. In Ohio I hunt on 8 farms and West Virginia 4 farms. I have only been turned down a few times. I never paid any money to hunt on any farms but I due share my harvest If they like deer meat. I also stop and talk to the farmers when I'am in there area during the summer.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Try living and hunting in the most densely populated state in the country and see how many people respond to nice manners/willingness to do work/etc/etc/etc. Cash is king in NJ and that's the bottom line. No one hunts for free unless you have total inside connections such as family/neighbors. By the way, my buddy in ILL is telling me that his area (Carroll COunty) is going the same direction.

Good luck in your quest!!
Old 08-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

It never hurt's to ask , Sometimes when they realize that your a local boy they'll change their mind .Also if you offer to help them out with work around their property they'll agree to let you hunt as well .Its hard to get permission generally when the land owner doesn't know you.

nubo
Old 08-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spot light .........how many have you asked?

Keep trying!

Good Luck!
Old 08-22-2004, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

Just want to say thanks for the encouragement and Ill be out again this week after I come back from bear hunting in Northern Ont. Ill let you know how im making out.
Old 08-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Appearance is everything. You need to look professional, courteous and helpfull. Offer a hand on the property, sharing the bounty, assistance in whatever they need. Don't show up in your camo's, work cloths etc.....first impressions are important and good luck. The right "yes" might be the only place you need. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Shot down again on land permission

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.