Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunt from a ground blind? >

Bowhunt from a ground blind?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunt from a ground blind?

Old 08-17-2004, 10:07 PM

Default Bowhunt from a ground blind?

I just recieved permission to hunt a very good piece of property but one the stipulations is that we can't use treestands or climbers. This is a timber farm and the owner doesn't won't any damage to the trees. My question is, has anyone bowhunted from a ground blind and if so what kind and how did you like it. Also is there a trestand that doesn't leave any marks on the trees?
Old 08-17-2004, 10:29 PM

Default RE: Bowhunt from a ground blind?

That's a tough situation b/c you don't want to anger the land owner and lose your privelage to hunt on the land. Perhaps you could modify a treestand to prevent it from digging into the tree. You can avoid using screw-in steps by making or buying a "ladder" that can be strapped to the tree. My uncle takes a piece of 1" tubing and welds thick pieces of re-bar to the sides for steps. He simply using straps to attach it to a tree.

If you are going to use a ground blind of some type, perhaps you could simply use near by branches and litter on the forest floor to construct a natural blind that wouldn't impede your movement as much as most blinds you buy in a store. Good luck hunting!
Old 08-17-2004, 11:48 PM

Porintree has some good ideas. Id suggest a ladder stand if possible as the best possible remedy, you ll get better visibilty. they dont mark the tree and they are cheaper than a climber, portable and even some pop up ground blinds. If you do construct a natural ground blind make sure you make yourself enough room to comfortably draw your bow, I made that mistake with my first pop up blind, and missed a chance at a deer the first and last time out. If you go for a pop up blind, again make sure its big enough, I have an ameristep doghouse now and it has enough room , and there not to terribly expensive, about as much as some ladder stands.
Old 08-18-2004, 12:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never used a ground blind, but have herd some good things about sent controll, staying dry and being able to move a bit more.
A ladder stand with something like a piece of rubber where it hits the tree may work. I would try a ground blind of any type till you know weather the property is good. Never know, you may like the ground blind!!
Old 08-18-2004, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

KYBUCK...as hard as it is in some areas to gain permission to hunt, the last thing I would be doing is bugging the guy about different stand configurations that won't damage his trees. The last thing he wants to be doing is babysitting to see if you are harming his trees or not. As a landowner, nothing pi$$es me off more than when I tell somebody they can hunt, but don't do such and such. Many come back and say, "Well, can I do such and such if I do it like this????"

I've hunted from a blind several times. It's not bad. The worst thing is getting the blind constructed properly. If you find an area that is incredible, build blinds on both sides of it to accomodate the wind.

Natural materials work better than cloth or blinds in my opinion. The only problem is that when the leaves are off, there isn't much cover if you don't have evergreens. If you are near pine trees, they are ideal because they block your shadow and mask your scent.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never used a ground blind..............just found a concealed spot with room to draw, like under a big cedar tree. Hunting on the ground is fun and rewarding.......you just cant see as good as you could in a deer stand. I use to hunt from the ground all the time, the biggest buck i ever killed was on the ground with his nose in a film canister of tinks 69! Ladder stands will not hurt the tree one bit..........what is he going to do inspect every tree when you leave?
Old 08-18-2004, 07:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt almost exclusively from the ground, to me there is no thrill like being eye level with a deer!

As already stated WIND is crucial when on the ground, when it comes to a blind there are 3 very important things to keep in mind:

1. Make sure that what ever you use in front of you will break up your outline, yet allow you to either shoot over it or through it (between actually)

2. Make sure that you situate your blind to where you will not be silohuetted (sp) from behind.

3. Make sure that you can draw your bow completely and silently in any direction that a deer may come (Got busted by a monsterous buck a few years back because he came in the wrong way!)

Did I mention the WIND!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2004, 07:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Like everone has said, WIND DIRECTION is critical!!!! [&:] I have bow hunted from natural ground blinds and always seemed to get busted. It is REALLY hard to hunt from the ground. That deer can smell everything and anything from 1/2 mile away.

Good luck!

Butch A.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Turkey Fan...you said........."....what is he going to do inspect every tree when you leave?"

Not listening to the landowner is PRECISELY why many cannot get permission to hunt. If he doesn't want a stand up...then no stand. Why can't people listen when you tell them something. He's probably worried about somebody screwing a bowholder through a venier log.

He can't check every tree. That may very well be why he wants NO stands.

If the landowner sees that KYBUCK isn't listening, then 10 others may end up losing permission due to this. Like the old saying...One bad apple...

I've got over 400 acres, and never turn anybody down except during gun season. Hell, they don't ask ...They just start hunting. That's about to change. Trash, poaching, not obeying simple rules and stolen stands have me at my wits end.

If you wan't to treat the land however you want...then freakin buy it.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:49 AM

I have to agree with Pro-Line here, I don't want to annoy the landowner with anymore questions, I have permission to hunt and the best thing I would think would be for the next contact to be when the season is over when I thank them. They have never allowed anyone to hunt there before and are probably a little leary of us being there. I hope to make this a good experience for both of us so there will be no problems hunting there in the future.

Quick Reply: Bowhunt from a ground blind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.