Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer camp starter age? >

Deer camp starter age?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer camp starter age?

Old 08-15-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Deer camp starter age?

I don't have any kids myself, but my hunting buddies are starting to talk about bringing their kids to camp. What age do you guys think is sufficient to allow kids to spend a week in camp? I have one buddy with a four year old and another with a 10 and 7 year old. I'm all for getting kids out in the woods and hunting, but on the other hand I'm not really looking forward to babysitting punks during my vacation. The way I see it sooner or later the kids will be old enough to come, but I'm looking to try and hold on to a couple more good years where I don't have to watch my language or worry about whether I'm being a good role model (I tend to do some stupid things in camp that I can't get away with at home.)

What do you guys think?
Old 08-15-2004, 09:27 PM

Default RE: Deer camp starter age?

My son is 6 and he comes with me to the camp from time to time. I never bring him on any opening weekend or on holidays just yet. I dont think he is ready for it yet nor do I think he is old enough yet.... although in the club contract there is a rule that no vulgar or lewd behavior when wemon or children are around........lol I know it sounds funny but get a bunch of Rednecks around with nothing to do and see what happens!!
Now I do take him hunting(squerrlll-squrell-skwerll-awww-Tree rats) alot away from the camp....and am thinking about getting him a bow for his birthday
Old 08-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tough call being that you don't have kids. I started taking my son and daughter to camp when they were about 8. We actually had a lot of fun with the kids. One of the other guys started bring his and we just went from there. A couple of guys that didn't have kids actually had a real good time and the kids really took to them. It is different with kids in camp but it can be a great time. Just tell them that you want to keep some camps kid free (until they can hunt) and some camps for the kids. Just tell the kids "what happens in camp stays in camp". They seem to like that and you may be surprised at how well they can keep quiet.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:41 PM

Yep cuz if they tell, Momma wont let anyone go back to the camp, or worse daddy might have to live there.....hmmm would that be a bad.......
Old 08-16-2004, 11:27 AM

i went thanksgiving day when iwas 10. walked drives. i heard all that lewd stuff and cussing and swearing, but i never repeated it around mom. now, after working summers in a saw mill and hanging around the truckers, i can keep right up with the best of 'em. i would say 9 to 11 would be a good age

slayer
Old 08-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Dominant Buck

As soon as the kids can read the label, open it and get the right beer to the right person, then let them tag along.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:42 AM

My son is 4 and I plan on taking him this year, but my lease is a family lease and families are encouraged to come along, and there's always plenty of kids around
Old 08-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell that you don't have kids by your attitude toward them but you must realize that the camp is as much your buddies as it is yours and if they are like me they could probably care less whether you agree with them bringing their kids to camp or not. My son is 5 1/2 and I've been taking him hunting since he was 2 and I say that if my dad and brothers don't like it they don't have to come with us. You ought to go into it with a open mind and maybe you might enjoy it. And as far as doing things in camp that you can't do at home maybe having kids in camp will help you grow up a little. JMHO.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speaking for myself i know that since getting married and having kids i am a totally different person and see things a little more 'parental'.Now i'm sitting about #4 on my priority list instead of #1--and i'm about to drop to #5 in a couple weeks when the new edition arrives(however the heck that happened anyway).I know it can be a drag when you're there to cut loose a little when your only responsibilty is yourself but kids and women have a way of changing a guy.Sorry to ramble on--have a good day!
Old 08-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was not allowed to hold a gun until I was 10 years old. I was told at an early age about the rule and eagerly awaited the day. I was sent to hunter safety course around my 10th birthday and then my dad bought me a 22 rifle after graduation. Shortly afterwards I pretty much forgot about hunting and concentrated instead on fishing until I was about 25 years old. Not really sure what the moral of the story is here - maybe in another 40 years I'll know.

Quick Reply: Deer camp starter age?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.