Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scouting - Give me some info >

Scouting - Give me some info

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting - Give me some info

Old 08-12-2004, 08:32 PM

Default Scouting - Give me some info

Well I've shot a bow for a few years now, but I didn't grow up hunting and I'm just now getting into the sport. A co-worker of mine just got a smaller chunk of land and says he doesn't mind if I hunt it.

What do you guys look for when scouting? How do you know where to start when you've got no topographic map of the land or any past experience on the land? I know he's got a little under 30 acres covered with oak trees, a couple trails, and I know that there's a stream on the backside of his land so I'm guessing that's a good start, but other than that please offer up a few tips for a new guy if you don't mind.

Very much appreciated!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scouting - Give me some info

If you're unfamiliar with the ground, go spook around on it a little. Look for some deer trails that appear well used. That is a good start. Trails that are tore up and have quite a few tracks on it will indicate this. Also, look for thickets on the property. Chances are, if there are some rather thick areas, deer will bed in these areas.

One peice of advice I will give you. Tread lightly when you're scouting. Especially this late in the year. If you go crashing through bedding areas and such you'll spook the deer into the next county. Chances are they will return, but you don't want to tip them off. They will remember. I always liked to scout during early evening when the deer are moving. If you spook them then, they might adjust their travel patterns for a while, but chances of spooking them to Canada are less likely.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:53 PM

First get a topomap off of www.topozone.com and an aerial photo from terraserver

study it for natural funnels, food sources, ect.

look for white oaks as they will be a prime source of food when acorns fall

search for the thickest and nastiest cover and you will find where the big bucks bed. Of course be careful because if they bust you sneaking around their bedroom, game could be over. (better to be safe than sorry)

Locate the nearest agricultural fields, clearcuts, or any place you think they may be getting there summer browse from. Set up in an observation stand in the evenings and watch the food source. keep an eye out for where the deer enter and exit the fields. After a couple of weeks you should be able to pin down a pattern, use it to your advantage during the early season while the deer are still in their summer bed to feed patterns.

Remember, when the white acorns fall set up in a white oak stand. Gold mine!!

good luck!
Old 08-12-2004, 09:26 PM

Awesome.

It's pretty intimidating trying to learn this stuff on my own, this forum has been a great resource. Thanks for the replies, and keep them coming.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

watch from a distance in August & Sept with binoculars. Or get a cheap trail camera - knowing the deer are there will add confidence - this is important to a new hunter.

Good luck
Old 08-13-2004, 12:26 AM

You could probably write a whole book on scouting, so it's hard to tell you everything. Some sasy things to look for are heavily used trails. These show you that deer have obviously been there at some time. Also look for rubs (old and/or new depending on time of year), scrapes, and other kinds of deer sign. Funnels are great spots to hunt. An example would be a strip of high, dry ground that goes between two thick, wet swamps or lakes. Most of them aren't that obvious, but just remember that deer like to take the easiest route possible.

Another thing to look out for it edges. Either the edge where a stand of pine trees up to oaks, or just an area with thicker cover than anything else. I remember when I first started hunting, I hunted one woods a lot. There were trails all over, so I'd hunt the trails. I saw some deer, but could never seem to be on the trails they were using. But, when I started hunting along areas where some brushy/thicker cover (Like fencelines, or just natural thicker areas) edged up to the more open hardwoods, I started having deer walk right past my tree. It doesn't take much either. A pretty subtle edge can really concentrate deer movement. Two years after I figured this out, I've seen very few deer on that same property that didn't come within 30, and usually 20 yards of me.
There's just a few basics. Just getting out there and looking is the best way to learn, though it's great to ask a few questions to get you going in the right direction. Good luck and have fun!

peashooter
Old 08-13-2004, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

hunting a new peace of property? What i do is walk the the land and no whats out there like boundries "creek`s" maby where the "pines" are and the thick stuff! also of course the hardwoods! look for old rubs! or rub lines maby trails. Deers patern will change through the yr. What there doing know or eating know may or may not be what they will be doing in a few months so keep that in mind? Also with out a doubt food source is going to be one of the most importent things to keep an eye out for while scouting. Droping`s will be something to keep an eye out for if you find a good bit of dropings in one area thats a good endication that your in or close to a food source and that area is being used. I don`t mean to blow you away with this stuff but there is really a lot more to it than this. When hunting new land a lot of it will come just being out there your self looking around thats part of the fun! Things like bedding areas and wind direction and stand placement are all key factors and will be things you will half to to find or findout while scouting and looking around and alot of it will come durring hunting season while sitting in your stand like where to hunt and where not to hunt?[&:].......................If i only had one day to scout i would look for the food source!
Old 08-13-2004, 08:27 AM

Where to begin. You've already gotten some great advise so I'll keep it short. I love water. You didn't describe the creek very well but would walk the distance of the brook and look for crossing. Depending on how wide and how deep the brook it may well concentrate where the deer cross creating a funnel. My most prodictive stand is in a creek bottom and the deer have one specific crossing the prefer. You may well find the same sort of activity on this property.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/

Get an aeria photo and topo map and look for likely bedding area and then routes to the food. Transition zones as mentioned by others (pines to hardwoods, thick creek bottoms, Small fingers of forrest that reach out into fields) these are all great spots to set up. Look carefully for sign and always hunt the wind.

It sounds like the property has great potential. Good luck

Also, Welcome!
Old 08-13-2004, 08:30 AM

The oak trees would be a good draw because of the acorns and I would do as you would, start at the stream. Also, what I would do is do some scouting while hunting during Archery. The first day hunting, I would start up by the oaks, scout around a litle looking for signs of deer, trails, droppings, etc., trails coming in or out. Watch for does so when the rut set's in, the bucks will be following. Look for other types of natural foos sources, such as apple trees, blueberry bushes, swamps, etc. Once you are familar with the proprerty, I would see if you could put up a stand or two in some key locations, or use portable blinds on climbers.

Good luck....

Tom
Old 08-13-2004, 08:56 AM

EVERY ONE GAVE GOOD INFO FOR YOU, I LOOK ALOT FOR OLD RUBS FRESS DROPPINGS,I HUNT BETWEEN THICK COVER AND HARDWOODSYOU SHOULD BE ABLE TOFIND TRAILS GOING TO AND FROM, AS FOR THE WATER AREA IN MY OPINION I WOULD LOOK FOR THE MOST NARROW CROSSING THEIR SHOULD BE SIGN AROUND THERE OR A TRAIL RUNNIG ALONG THE SIDE OF IT! GOOD LUCK

Quick Reply: Scouting - Give me some info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.