Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How much does rain Hamper deer movement? >

How much does rain Hamper deer movement?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much does rain Hamper deer movement?

Old 08-11-2004, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How much does rain Hamper deer movement?

We've been averaging 1 inch of rain per day here for 4 days straight now.

The deer movement is definately SLOW.. Especially with my Deer Cam..

How much do you guys and gals think the rainfall of 4 inches in 4 days will affect deer movement?
Old 08-11-2004, 02:35 PM

Default RE: How much does rain Hamper deer movement?

A good driving rain will send deer looking for cover. But, It has been my experience that a light rain (1" per 24 hour) won't change travel too much. I actually like hunting food sources in a light rain as I often have great luck in situations like this.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

a noisy rain will make the deer where i hunt move, becuse they cant hear that good, a heavy rain will make them bed in the cedars, which is where i go to find cover also. So it depends on how hard a rain it is.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:14 PM

Rain kills most all of the movement, but if you can get out into the woods just before it stops than you will probabely see a deer. They seem to get up and shake off after the rain stops.
Old 08-11-2004, 04:37 PM

Ive never hunted in heavy rain, but during a lite rain I have had some of my better hunts. The deer seem to be more active and willing to move around more.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:21 PM

From what I understand the wet doesn't bother them that much. They are insulated pretty well. I dont' think they care for heavy rain however because it hampers there two most sensitive senses, hearing and smell. Deer are pretty skitish in the first place, add that on top of it and I dont' think they are going move more than they need to. However I think once the rut starts all bets are off, they just don't think straight then.

Paul
Old 08-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Spike

I believe that a very light rain enhances deer movement. The only problem with rain is the ability to track your quarry if you should have to wait before you begin.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

I'll echo what everyone else is saying. Light rainy days, I see deer up and moving.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree that heavy rain makes the deer run for cover, but just as soon as the rain starts to show sign that it's going to let up the deer start to move .I've had some of my best hunting in slight drizzle and have taken many deer in these condition's.

nubo
Old 08-11-2004, 09:42 PM

I read some where that deer have a great ability to sense change in barometric pressure, and when the pressure starts to drop (a storm is coming) they will go out and feed then bed down and wait out the storm. Likewise, when the pressure starts to go up, they will again go out to feed. I have found this to be very true. In the summer time I like test this theory out and watch out in fields during the middle of the afternoon when I know a storm is forecasted, more often then not, I will see deer out feeding.

Quick Reply: How much does rain Hamper deer movement?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.