Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Which mechanicals? >

Which mechanicals?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which mechanicals?

Old 08-10-2004, 02:26 PM

Default Which mechanicals?

Which mechanicals leave the best bllod trails?
Old 08-10-2004, 04:38 PM

Default RE: Which mechanicals?

If you don't put the arrow where it needs to be none of them leave good blood trails. If you put the arrow where it is supposed to be all of them leave good blood trails. It's all up to you. Learn where the arrow is supposed to go, put it there, and you will have a blood trail a blind man can follow. All you need on the tip of the arrow is a sharp broadhead.

Pick one you can shoot well and put it in through the vitals.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:27 PM

Id say spitfires. But I dont see the point in shooting mechanicals. Unless your a guy that just likes gadgets.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:06 PM

Last year was my first year bowhunting. I used 100 grain three blade muzzys. I finally got a shot at a deer the last day of bow season. It was a good shot, double lung,and he only ran about 20 yards. I watched him fall from my stand. I walked the path he followed three times and I never saw a drop of blood. When I turned him over there was just a very small amount of blood at the exit wound, maybe a teaspoon full. My broadhead was sharp, I got a complete pass through without hitting any bone. but still there was no blood. Is this common? or was it just a fluke? However when I opened his chest cavity the blood gushed out, It was if all of the bleeding had been internal. I thought if I tried mechanicals I might get a better blood trail, in case I get one that runs alot farther.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Obviously Shot Placement is key here as well as many other Factors bother Controllable and Non-controllable. But!
All things being equal The Blade with my biggest Cutting Diameter is going to give you consistently the best blood trails. <---thats a period at the end of the sentence.

I personally go with the RM Gator XP I believe it is probably the best Penetrating 2" Mech out there. Not only because of the profile but because of the way the Blades open as well.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

Miniblaster 4

I don't know if they make those anymore though.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: ncbowhunter

Last year was my first year bowhunting. I used 100 grain three blade muzzys. I finally got a shot at a deer the last day of bow season. It was a good shot, double lung,and he only ran about 20 yards. I watched him fall from my stand. I walked the path he followed three times and I never saw a drop of blood. When I turned him over there was just a very small amount of blood at the exit wound, maybe a teaspoon full. My broadhead was sharp, I got a complete pass through without hitting any bone. but still there was no blood. Is this common? or was it just a fluke? However when I opened his chest cavity the blood gushed out, It was if all of the bleeding had been internal. I thought if I tried mechanicals I might get a better blood trail, in case I get one that runs alot farther.
I'd would have to say what you experienced was a high hit ,high exit..Takes alot more blood to fill up the chest cavity to come out of the holes created by the broadheads... If you had a low exit and a complete pass through you deffinately would have seen some blood....(but thats my take on it) And crazy things do happen like that.. Kinda like not having a blood trail for 30-50yrds then all of a sudden blood all over..

Just remember when looking, trailing a deer to also look at grass blades sides of trees, stems etc.... for blood spray.. just cause you may not see blood on the ground don't necessarrily mean that the deer hasn't left some clues as to where it's goin...

As for the original post, i have used jackhammers,ultimate steels.. (IMO) i feel they are disposable... I have killed deer with them but after that they were ready for the trash... But there are all kinds to try out,just get ya some that others have mentioned and tryem out..
Old 08-11-2004, 02:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

All the broadheads mentioned will do the trick. If I was going to shoot mech heads, I would go with the spitfire. great out of the box sharpness and no rubber bands. Great head.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:59 AM

Spitfires leave great bloodtrails. Just make sure you have enough KE
for them to work properly. I would suggest at least 60 ft. lbs. of KE.
I have taken many deer and one bull elk with them.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have used spitfires and love them. they opened with my old 1987 PSE bow and they work with my new 2003 mathews LX. no rubberbands and you can buy them just about everywhere if you happen to lose them or break them. plus NO RUBBER BANDS. and they open if they rust or whatever.

Quick Reply: Which mechanicals?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.