Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Treestands again...  (what's best, pros, cons, etc...) >

Treestands again... (what's best, pros, cons, etc...)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestands again... (what's best, pros, cons, etc...)

Old 08-10-2004, 12:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Treestands again... (what's best, pros, cons, etc...)

I know that discussing tree stands is always pretty cool. Everybody has an opinion and everybody either has this model or that model. It's just like discussing bows. Everybody has a preference.

With all this rambling being said, I have been looking at all types of tree stands and read up on the different manufacturer's and so on. I need to get a good quality tree stand for public land/state forest hunting very very soon.

Let me first offer my opinions on the basic 3 types of stands (feel free to correct me if I am dead wrong on any of this):

Ladder Stand
* Rock solid stable
* Best used on private land and left up all season
* Heavy and bulky
* Easy up and down, faster than any other stand.

Hang-On Stand
* Stable, if anchored securely
* Easy to use anywhere
* Can be left up all season, but theft is a big concern
* East to hang with either tree steps or climbing sticks.
* Don't necessarily have to have a straight high-limbed tree

Climbing Stand
* Stable, if weight is evenly distributed
* Easy, extremely portable, "go anywhere" stand
* Take some effort to climb up tree
* You need a straight tree with high limbs
* More comfortable than most hang-on stands

Anything else I'm missing from the above descriptions? You see, I'm in the market for a good quality stand and I imagine others are too. So, I figured I'd help out others by listing the pros/cons of the types of tree stands for bowhunters.

For myself, I am 6' and just slimmed down a bit to 203 lbs. I am still a relative "newbie" (hunting: 4 yrs bowhunting: 3 yrs) and had an Ameristep Grizzly steel climbing stand, which I didn't care for. I had an "issue" with the stand last season where the bottom section skidded down the tree a few feet and literally scared the $*#&@ outta me! [&:] (Thank God for ropes and bungie cords!).

I don't have any private land to hunt here in Virginia and need a portable, quiet, easy to pack 'n go, stand for public lands and state forests. I really, REALLY like the Summit Broadhead Backpacker climber, or the cheaper Summit Bushmaster climber. Summit makes awesome stands from what I have seen. They are my #1 choice.

But then, again, I don't know.... I am funny about climbers. I like the hang-on stands and climbing sticks, but then, with public land hunting and state forests, they might be more trouble to haul around day in/day out. Unless I get screw in tree steps and then just take my hang-on stand with me when I'm done.

Getting a ladder stand wouldn't be advantageous because I don't have private land and it would be ridiculous to haul a 57 lb steel ladder stand into a public WMA or state forest!

So, anyway, long story short..... Can I get opinions, suggestions, psychological counseling regarding all the types of tree stands and the best choice for the best situation? I don't want a steel, clanging, banging, type of stand. Lord knows, I can sometimes make enough noise in the woods as it is! [:-]

Thanks....

Butch A.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Treestands again... (what's best, pros, cons, etc...)

I think the Lone Wolf sit-and-climb looks like a dandy!
Old 08-10-2004, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, everyone else here is going to thump on the Summit drum so I'll be the different one here.

I personally like the Loggy Bayou stand. I feel they are much more solid on the tree than Summit. It uses a ratchet style strap that secures it to the tree ones at height. There is no way it can shift, or move once fastened. Somthing I can't say for the Summit Viper I bought and used last year. If I wouldn't have sold it, it would be a boat anchor this year. Way too heavy for my liking. I decided to try a new stand last year and ended up with one. 20LBS is pretty light, but compared to my 12LB Loggy, no comparison. Yes, the Summits are very comfortable, but I was always leary about the standing plateform just hanging under me not tied fast to anything. Oh, did I mention how small the plateform on the Summits are?

Sorry Summit fans, I just don't think they are all they are cracked up to be in a lot of ways.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

Butcha
I dont know about VA. but here in IL. you can't use screw in steps or anything that penetrates the bark when hunting on public/state land.
I have each type of stand you have listed, I don't care for the climbing stick's they are just to cumbersome(and loud) for a walk of any length. You were dead on about the ladder stand, they are great for putting up in the yard to shot from when getting ready for the big day!
I hunt 99.9% on public land and for me the climber was the way to go. I have a Summit Cobra it weight's about 17lbs. can hold up to 300lbs.
I've had it for 4 years and never a problem. Just my 2 cents !

silbowhunter

Old 08-10-2004, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with a good climber. IMO that's the best option for public land.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't know the name of the product or the mfr. , but I've seen a portable hang on stand with built in telescoping climbing sticks advertised . Both the weight and price were comparable to a better grade climber . You could have the best of all you listed with this one . I believe I saw it at Cabela's .
Old 08-10-2004, 03:36 PM

I'm thinking about buying a new portable...got it narrowed down to the Summit Copperhead X4(20"x36", 12 lbs) or a Loggy Bayou Monarch(18.5"x32",10lbs)..as im hunting on the 135 acres behind our house plus the other 250 of a couple other neighbors, portability isnt an issue. really leaning towards the summit, as i can always get a ratchet strap for it.

slayer
Old 08-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

I would go with a good climbing stand since you will be on public land. A portable lock on with climbing sticks would work, but with a climber there is less to carry in and out.

Summit, Loggy Bayou, Ole Man and a couple others make good stands but.............I will take the Lone Wolf climber hands down. The 2004 SitnClimb model features a new seat and backrest and is very comfortable.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the replies.... [8D]

I would LOVE to pick up a Lone Wolf stand, but they are a bit pricey for me (I got twin daughters heading off to college - money is a huge issue).

Anyway, a climber must be stable, secure, and not allow me to feel "freaky" in it, like I'm going to fall out. Same with a hang-on stand. I don't want that type of stand to let go with me on it! [&:]

After talking everything over with my wife, she will let me get a new Summit climber or Loggy Bayou XTC or perhaps the Summit Copperhead or maybe the Gorilla Silverback type of hang-ons.

Shopping.... Shopping.... Here we go! [8D]

Butch A.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:44 PM

100% of my hunting is on public ground and i use mostly a climber..I do have the summit cobra i beleive it's called.. Nice stand pretty sturdy... Heck i just picked up a hunters view razor back portable for $39.00 weighs 17lbs, 300lb rated , that i'm gonna be hangin this sat..The platform is 24x30, pretty big to me..Also have a cable lock 5/8" thick to lock it in with..And i do use a portable ladder for it too cause like some others have mentioned it's against the law to use tree steps here in IL. And if someone wants it they are gonna have to really work for it.. But this gives me a little flexibility as to where i can hunt.. And i'm not limited to just a straight tree or whatever for the climber..

Quick Reply: Treestands again... (what's best, pros, cons, etc...)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.