Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 rattling methods? >

rattling methods?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

rattling methods?

Old 08-10-2004, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default rattling methods?

what is everyones methods of rattling? i have tried this before but i dont think it worked as well as it coudl have. i called a couple of smaller bucks in but no big ones. what was i doing wrong?

i used an old 6 point rack in which i just gently rattled. i didnt feel like making a bunh of noise was a good thing. so i rattlesd a little paused for a little while usually not the same amount of time and tried to do it as sparatically as possible.

any sugestions? i was watching on the outdoor channel a segment on rattling, however i didnt learn much.

thanks
Old 08-10-2004, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: rattling methods?

I think making noise rattling is a good thing - its supposed to sound like a fight.

I wonder if you didn't call in small bucks because u sounded like small bucks sparring???

I've seen the big boys fighting - it definately wasn't quiet.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

good point Hazvon7,

now what about the size of teh antlers that i use? do you think they are big enough i have 10 point set that i coudl use.

how do you usually draw the big ones in?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

The area I have been hunting the last few years is public land with a horrible buck to doe ratio. I've only heard of rattling working once in these woods - very late season but he bagged a bruiser.

I have not had success rattling as of yet. The area I will be hunting this year has a great buck to doe ratio and I've seen the bucks out fighting (last year) so I will definately be rattling this season.

I have read many articles that say to make as much noise as possible while rattling - stomp the ground, break limbs, rake bushes, etc... but they also warn to be ready for a full frontal charge

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:26 AM

I think the average hunter dosn't know how to rattle, My self included. Every show I watch where animals are rattled in is on a ranch with a buck doe ration of 2/1 and within 30 seconds of the beginning the sequence a half a dozen P&Y bucks appear. This absolutely kills my confidence when I try to rattle.

I just tickle the tines like you're describing. I've seen a few dinks but nothing lke you'd expect rattleing to produce.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:15 AM

I've had excellent success with rattling. It's all about having receptive bucks that actually hear your simulated fight. My theory has been that the louder you are, the further your sound will carry, the more ears your noise will reach, and the more bucks you'll bring in. However, this is not always true. I scared away a big P&Y 8 pointer last year when I tried to "tickle him in" after seeing him first. He turned tail and ran. So there's no gaurantee. It doesn't work every time. It goes in streaks for me. I had a streak going one season ('99)where I literally rattled in a buck EVERY TIME I called. It was amazing. There are many factors such as, crop location, deer travel patterns vs. time of day that you call, weather, wind direction (which effect sound travel), and others that effect call response.

I'd recommend varying your technique with different combinations of volume, duration, length of pauses and frequency. You never know when you might offer just the right notes to draw the big boys in.

One more thing. In the newest Buck Fever video series, Jack Wittingham talked about doing an rattling experiment where he sent watchmen to towers situated 200 yards downwind of his own stand. He then rattled and observed the response. I don't remember the exact stats, but he only saw maybe 1 in 7 bucks that actually approached his calling. The others hung up out of view. He proved that the caller does not always see every buck that responds to the noise. This could be a useful team tactic. Kinda like teaming up on bugling bulls. Just a thought.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:35 AM

Baggin Bigguns brings up several very good points. One thing I have noticed that works during the pre-rut and rut is just basic grunting, especially during the last hour or 1/2 hour of sunlight. Once I get a buck in view through rattling or grunting, I try to make as little sounds as possible and still keep his attention. I try to keep him curious and move into range with the occasional grunt. This only works for so long, they will eventually get bored or spooked, so have those shooting lanes cleared and be ready to send an arrow his way as soon as you can make the shot.

This is just my experience, I could have just been lucky...