Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I can't get groups with my broadheads >

I can't get groups with my broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I can't get groups with my broadheads

Old 08-08-2004, 03:28 PM

Default I can't get groups with my broadheads

I was out shooting my field tips and touched arrows at 15 yards. I put my broadheads on and could hardle touch the bullseye. I shot only one arrow five times then switched arrows. Here are the results:

first arrow- 1" under the bullseye
second arrow- 2" right to the bullseye
third arrow- 1" left of the bullseye

I did not spin test these arrows. I tried the best I could but I don't know how to do it. The Magnus Stingers have a weird tip. The shop doesn't even know what spin testing is. I still have 5 arrows without the inserts installed. What should I do?
Old 08-08-2004, 04:02 PM

Default RE: I can't get groups with my broadheads

Well I put them on a spinner and read about how to do it. Only one out of seven spun even. The others have more wobble than a flat tire.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me looking into a crystal ball " I see ... I see .... mechanicals in your future. LOL.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Who cut off your arrows and put the inserts in? If only one out of seven spun even then I would think that it could be the inserts are not square.

Also you have to remember any little twitch or imperfection in your form will be shown a lot more with broadheads then field tips. You could be shooting a little differently and not noticing the difference with the field tips but your are with the broadheads. I have a 3" circle if every one of my broadheads can hit in there then I'm satisfied that its in tune and the only way I can improve is by changing me not my bow. Since the target on a deer is probably a 8+ inch circle theres room for a little error as well.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:33 PM
nub

Me looking into a crystal ball " I see ... I see .... mechanicals in your future. LOL.
Boo[:@]Hiss[:@] Not even funny.[:'(] He might take you seriously.[>:]

zak; Your gonna have to do what ever it takes to get them to spin true.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:49 PM

Yea Zak it seems like you have your work cut out for you! You must tune those broadheads and eliminate all wobble if you want to tighten those groups. 5shot has a great writeup on his websight on how to do this. You definately don't want to switch to mechanicals especially with the KE you have at this point in your stage.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:55 PM

Zac do you have any helical in your fletching? Get them to spin true and get some helical in the fletch and youll be grouping in no time.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suggest paper tuning your bow. Once you do that and get your bow tuned it'll likely shoot just about any broadhead.

IF you KNOW your bow is already tuned .... try different broadheads. Muzzy always shot good for me. Mechanicals are good - like the First Cut heads ..... but bottom line even mechanicals will not correct an improperly tuned bow.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.broadheadtests.com/TUNING.html
Old 08-09-2004, 05:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, that's a great site, 5shot! [8D]

Anyway, zak123, I would suggest trying different Stingers in different arrows. In other words, switch the broadheads around with a bunch of different arrows, and see if ANY of the arrows fly straight. It does sound like the inserts are not properly aligned, or that the Magnus Stingers are not exactly right for the type of arrow you are shooting.

I shoot 125gr Thunderheads out of Easton XX75 #2315's. The way my bow is setup and the way my arrows are setup, it doesn't matter.... 125gr field tips..... BAM! Bullseye at 30 yards - repeatedly. 1" groups. 125gr Thunderheads.... same thing. Bullseye at 30 yards. The Thunderheads hit the exact same spot my 125gr field tip just did.

Good luck!

Butch A.

Quick Reply: I can't get groups with my broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.