Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Why did you start bowhunting? >

Why did you start bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why did you start bowhunting?

Old 08-07-2004, 08:40 PM

Default Why did you start bowhunting?

I have always been facinated with things that shoot. I have always wanted to get a bow. One of my friends had one, but I wanted one way before. I bought one and haven't put it down since. How did you guys get started? Is it because of the extra long season or another reason?
Old 08-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why did you start bowhunting?

I started bowhunting 16 years ago and I didnt KNOW A DAMN THING. I taught myself because my dad didnt bow hunt, just rifle hunted.

My grandma had a stroke and ended up leaving the water on in the kitchen. The insurance company paid me to clean the water up, so i purchased my first bow with the money I EARNED.

It was a Bear bow with the idler wheels on the riser..lol

Been hunting ever since and learn more everyday..
Old 08-07-2004, 08:45 PM

My parents started me when I was about 5. My mother used to shoot Jack Rabbits from horseback during the 30's with a longbow. I met Ben Pearson's son Ben when I was in High School, and he and I hunted fanatically togeather for several years. I still hunt with him at his ranch in North Central Arkansas.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

The reason I started bow hunting was deer gun hunting was just to easy ,I wanted a chalange and the 4 month season was also great.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:47 PM

I got tired of shooting deer at 150+ yards. Anybody can do that, not everyone can shoot one at 30 and below.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:00 PM

Well, i wanted to bowhunt when i was 9 or 10, and got a bow, but i wasnt patient enough and stopped shooting. Then, last july, i bought Monster Bucks 10 and saw how awesome bowhunting was. The people on the chat room here always talked about it and how fun it was. I though rifle hunting was fairly easy most of the time(knock on wood) and wanted something to challange me alot. I borrowed my cousins PSE Nova and got it set up in late july, practiced hard for a month and hunted all fall. man it was fun, and i didnt even kill anything. i pickedup alot of skills. My dad only rifle hunts so i taught myself everything, with help from the people here.jerry gander, the owner of the pro shop i go to, said my form is excellent for teaching myself. This summer i decided i loved the sport so much i should invest in the best equipment. my rig is listed in my signature. bowhunting is probably the best thing thats happened to me in my 15 year life...i wouldnt have it any other way

slayer
Old 08-07-2004, 11:16 PM

Can any bow-hunter out there disagree that there is no better feeling of accomplishment then doing all the homework and scouting necessary to get within 30 yards of a nice deer? And to take that shot of a life time that so many hunters talk about? The work and the love for the sport makes Bow Hunting what it is.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Because I couldn't hit anything with a shot gun.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:36 PM

I had a friend that said I should get a bow so we could bow hunt together, so I did. That was 6 years ago and my friend has yet to pick up his bow, but I have been having the time of my life. I taught myself to shoot and have learned to shoot better from some other bow hunters that I have met. I really have no desire to pick up my rifle anymore because it is just to easy. Bow hunting is by far is my sport of choice!!! What an addiction!!
Old 08-07-2004, 11:40 PM

First I must say that I can somewhat diasagree with buckseeker, there is one better and that was the birth of my two beautiful girls, other then that I fully agree.

And how I got started is kind of funny I think. Earlier that summer of my first bow season I had purchased some pos left handed compound bow for $25 from a yard sell just for fun. Well my buddies and I messed around with it for a couple of days. Then they went and found some other cheap ones on clearance at Big 5. So we played with them. At first couldnt even hit a milk jug at ten yards. Then we bought a release. It got much better. Funny thing is we shot that left handed bow right handed for awhile. Well time went on and we put them away and hadnt even thought about hunting with them (my bow was not even legal it was too weak). Well here we are a few months later the day before bow season opens, at work, one of my buddies starts nagging me about going bow hunting, all day long I continued to reply with things like "Are you high?" and " my bow is not even legal" Well my boss overheard some of this and offered his Golden eagle to me to use. (I hate it when people take away your excusses lol).
So long story I finally said that I would go ahead and " waste" one year to prove him wrong.

Well I was the wrong one I had never had so much fun hunting in my life and I will more then likely never gun hunt for deer and elk again. Especially elk because rifle season is only 7 days long and Bow you get at least a month and if I am will to travel a bit I can get an additional three weeks for cow only hunt during late season.

Well in a nutshell that is how I got started.

Quick Reply: Why did you start bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.