Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Posting land: Mixed emotions >

Posting land: Mixed emotions

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Posting land: Mixed emotions

Old 08-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Posting land: Mixed emotions

Post it. We have 80 acres in WI and the laws here do not require us to post it but we do. You are considered to be trespessing unless you have the landowners permission (posted or not). I just found that out last year after we posted the whole property. I still would have posted anyway.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:39 AM

I appreciate you responces. I will go ahead and post it hunting by written permission only.

I just feel a little $#!^^y about it as the aera I live in a developing very rapidly and urban sprawl is eating up all the avaiable hunting land. I hate to kick someone out a piece of land they've hunted for years.
This dose make the most sense though. I'll lay out the rules and they can decide if they want to hunt under the condition I set forth. If not oh well.

Thanks again, as usual you've made the answer very clear!
Old 08-03-2004, 10:03 AM

Hey Adams, I would definetly post it. 50 acres is barely enough for one person to hunt a year.

About your QDM. 500 acres + 50 acres is not nearly enough property to implement a QDM program. Without more surrounding property involved, your are "pissin in the wind" as they say. Deer will walk off of your property and be shot instantly by other surrounding, or area hunters. You will labor, feed, and pass on nice smaller bucks, for someone else to shoot.

If you are serious about QDM you must get more property owners actively involved. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think its great that u are willing to share only 50 huntable acres!!!

If I were hunting your land I would have absolutely no problem requesting written permission and bowhunting only! I doubt there are many like you left Adams!
Old 08-03-2004, 11:29 AM

I would definitely post it. If they can't abide by your rules they will just have to find someplace else to hunt.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Following your rules would be no problem for me ,
when can I come up there ?

Post it if you want to , it's your business and nobody else's .
Old 08-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would post it, and NOT "by written permission only". Put up NO TRESPASSING or NO HUNTING signs and make sure EVERYONE knows they aren't allowed to hunt it. The ones that ARE allowed, will have permission.
If you don't...don't complain when some slob is in your spot, or just killed your buck, or when they stomp all over your property and push everything off.
Even if you do post it...my bet would be you'll still have some problems.

QDM on 50 acres alone would be real tough. But...since you have that 500 there also, if your 50 is treated right can work wonders. Give the deer a Sanctuary area and you'll be suprised what you may be able to do. Yes, you can't control where they go....but you can make it very appealing to them if you do it right. With the 500 acres across the road, you have a very good setup IMO, to do what you can for QDM. You won't be able to keep them all from getting shot...but some will make it every year.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:30 PM

Post It!!!
Old 08-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

The fact that you are even questioning whether to post it, tells me you are a good person. As a hunter who has permission for all of his hunting lands thru the good graces of others, I appluad you for feeling sorry about posting your land. I don't feel your requests are unreasonable for those that you choose to let hunt. Best of luck this hunting season.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:38 PM

I know the QDM thing is a bit of a stretch but you all know as well as I do that deer will seek out land where people are not. By limiting access to my 50 and the neighbors totaly limiting their 500 I see it as an opportunity to make a small 550 acre sanctuary where the deer can escape the pressure of the surronding lands. I know the deer will travel and that is out of my control so I'm not to worry about that. I just want to encourage them to hold up on my land.

The locals I am expecting to have issues with. I know people drive the farm across the street from talking to one of the neighbors. I hope I can discorage this activity on myy side of the street but I'll have to wait and see.

Following your rules would be no problem for me ,
when can I come up there ?
Aren't the deer in Indiana big enough? Maybe we can swap a hunt

Quick Reply: Posting land: Mixed emotions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.