Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 another stupid hypothetical question (would you go trad?) >

another stupid hypothetical question (would you go trad?)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

another stupid hypothetical question (would you go trad?)

Old 07-29-2004, 06:27 AM

Default another stupid hypothetical question (would you go trad?)

okay, its time for another stupid hypothetical question...

lets say that every state has outlawed compound bows. The only way to keep bowhunting is using traditional bows (e.g. recurves, longbows.) would you take up trad to keep that burning bowhunting passion going, or would you just say forget it, i can kill enough (insert quarry here) etc. with my rifle, blackpowder, etc. to fill my (insert quarry here) hunting desires?...

i know there are guys on the boards that are already trad. but, i would like to hear your comments anyway. i also know that i've seen a few names asking questions in the traditional section (where i often lurk,) who are obviously thinking of picking up trad. what your response? there are a lot of members who are just starting archery and am also curious as to their responses as well...hey, not to mention the veteran guys who have shot compounds their entire lives. would you make the switch? would you give up the let-off, 30 inch ata, mech releases, mech broadheads, faster speeds. etc. to pursue your bowhunting passion?

i, myself, would go trad in a second. most of us will agree nothing compares to chasing our prey in the close quarters of the bowhunting world...i, in fact, have plans to go trad later in life, maybe in 10 or 15 years. who knows, maybe sooner. but, right now i'm just having too much dang fun with my compound...

please, lets not turn this into a compound vs. trad bashing thread, that's not the intent here. (let's leave that in the chuck adams thread. ) let's have sincere answers...
Old 07-29-2004, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: another stupid hypothetical question (would you go trad?)

I would go trad in a heart beat, the reason I went to archery was to extend my time in the woods.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:39 AM
c j
Typical Buck

I'm thinking about getting a recurve anyway. It looks like it would be a blast to shoot a recurve instinctively. So, yes, I would definitely still try to bowhunt with traditional gear.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely!
Old 07-29-2004, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Of course I would, I'd even be ready for it!

Old 07-29-2004, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh, I imagine I could tear myself away from compounds without many tears or much effort. Sure is nice just grabbing my quiver and stickbow to head out and do some shooting/hunting.

With the compound it's the bow, case, arrow box, tool box, spare parts, grease gun, shop manual, laptop 'puter for tech support... [8D]

Well, it's ALMOST that bad. [&:]
Old 07-29-2004, 07:09 AM

Nope, I would quit if that ever happened.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure, I'd like to try my hand at traditional, if given the opportunity. I started out with compound bows, and never shot a recurve or long-bow.

Butch A.
Old 07-29-2004, 07:41 AM
Fork Horn

for sure i would but i actually have though about buying a recurve just to get in some fun shooting i think they are a blast to shoot
Old 07-29-2004, 07:44 AM

I almost wish this were the case. I'd love to go old school as I personally feel it is a purer form of hunting. To take it one step further I'd like to make my own bow and arrows. Unfortunately all this would require more time and dedication than bow hunting already takes from my limited "free time". I hope as I get older and my kids get a little older I'll be able to get them involved in archery. But right now with a 2 year old and another due in November I can't see having the time. It's not as though you can shoot with little kids running around. Presently I only get 15-20 minutes a day to shoot. So I shoot 16 to 20 arrows.

In order for me to hunt with traditional gear I'd need to dedicate more time that I don't have. And without time to get proficient with traditional gear I owe it to my counterparts, the game I hunt to shoot the weapon I'm most competent with.

Quick Reply: another stupid hypothetical question (would you go trad?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.