HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Target shooting in tree stand (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/67320-target-shooting-tree-stand.html)

Hoofers 07-27-2004 06:08 PM

Target shooting in tree stand

Just wondering how critical it is to practice shooting out of your tree stand. Do you mostly on from the ground or the stand? I have no good trees to use so I can't shoot from elevated stands. What else can I do/

rybohunter 07-27-2004 06:19 PM

RE: Target shooting in tree stand

I would not go into the woods without shooting from a tree. But almost all my hunting is done that way, so I pretty much have to practice from a tree. roofs, steep hillsides, 2nd story windows, sometimes it takes some creativity.

Pro-Line 07-27-2004 06:21 PM

My point of impact doesn't seem to be much different out of a tree..but I still hang a stand and shoot. I mostly do it in the weeks before season and during the season to stay sharp.

I shoot from the ground year round, and like I said, it doesn't seem to matter considerably to me. Some can't say the same.

livbucks 07-27-2004 06:29 PM

When I was younger I would get up on the roof of my parents' house and shoot(we grew up on a good size piece of property). For the last few years my Dad, Brothers and I have been shooting out of an elevated platform that we constructed. I think it is of little value to practice on the flat ground and when season starts to get up 18'-20' in a tree. Your sights will not be accurate because of the downward angle and your form will be cosiderably different. We built it out of wolmanized lumber and it is more like a deck in the sky than a treestand.It has railings and bow racks and a tube on a rope that we hoist our arrows up with. I'm sure that if you find a friend who is in construction that it should not be too difficult. Think along the lines of a freestanding scaffold. Use an aluminum ladder for access.

johnch 07-27-2004 06:34 PM

I allways practice from both tree and ground .I know of several guys that practice out of the kids tree house . I sank a 4x6 treated pole 4 ' in the griund with concreet ,next ot the gardge ,a stand hanges from it year round

jte248 07-27-2004 06:42 PM

It definately helps me, i can get a better feel for things up in the stand for when the moment of truth happens. Maybe try one the techniques mentioned above. good luck

akaSharkey 07-27-2004 07:18 PM

I shoot from the tree in the last month before the season. I tie a tube quiver to a rope and the kids fetch my arrows and I pull them back up to the stand. It seems to help me. The angle, concentraring on form(bending at the waist). Sharkey

adams 07-28-2004 06:56 AM

I practice from a tree a few times prior to the season but 95% of my shooting is done from the ground.

ButchA 07-28-2004 07:26 AM

I practice in my backyard a lot too. 90% of the time, I just shoot from the ground anywhere from 20 to 30 yards. I have taken a ladder and climbed up on my back porch roof and shot a few arrows from that vantage point.

Remember high school algebra and geometry? Remember the "Pythagorum theory" (sp)? {Remember A2 + B2 = C2?} Well, it is true.... The sights will be slightly off when shooting from 15 feet up on a roof, versus shooting from ground level.

Distance: 30 yards/90 feet {A2 = 8100}
Height: 15 feet {B2 = 225}
-----------------------------------------------
Hypoteneuse: 91.24 feet/30.41 yards {C2 = 8325}

Butch A.

davidw 07-28-2004 07:47 AM

Almost all of my practice is done in out of stands. I also make sure to practice from all of the portables I plan on using. During the spring and early summer I might shoot from the ground, just to stay in shape but come late July I am always up a tree. A piece of PVC pipe capped on one endwith a rope attached makes a great arrow tube.