Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 New Hunting Bow/Rig >

New Hunting Bow/Rig

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Hunting Bow/Rig

Old 07-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Hunting Bow/Rig

With my birthday coming up, just before the bow season, I have been given the OK to shop for a new bow setup... Here is the deal, and you tell me what bow(s) make sense for me...

1. I have never shot a release, ever. However, most new bows are too short for fingers, and I will most likely learn it... What are some good releases that arent really expensive?
2. This is a hunting bow, so I want a good blend of forgiveness and arrow speed, but mostly hunting accuracy.
3. I am leaning towards something with the single cam design, but it isnt the biggest deal to me.
4. Price -- I already have a Kwikee Kwiver, Toxonic sight, and Stabilizer, so I wont need any of that stuff, but woud like to keep the price of the bow close to 300...
Old 07-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Hunting Bow/Rig

Check out the new Reflex Grizzly. I believe that's going to be right in your price range, and in a recent new bow shootout that I read it scored a lot higher in pretty much every category than a lot of bows that were WAY more expensive. FYI - Reflex is a division of Hoyt, and albeit the quality of materials and the bow in general is lower than Hoyt's top of the line stuff, it's still a very good bow with a lot of good components. For example - it features a Tec riser just like the Hoyts, as well as the Cam 1/2 system. If I recall correctly it was shooting 315 fps as well, which is up there with pretty much every other bow these days.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New Hunting Bow/Rig

any other opinions?

i handled a bear txr or something to that effect that felt real good, as well as a golden eagle obsession which was nice too... tough call

i liked this buckmasters too but it was a little above my price range