Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 i'd rather be lucky than good >

i'd rather be lucky than good

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

i'd rather be lucky than good

Old 07-27-2004, 03:07 PM

Default i'd rather be lucky than good

i dont know about you guys, but i know way more people that have killed big bucks by being lucky. ever been to the check in station to find a young kid with a slammer buck? how about the guy you know that cant sit still? or how about my dad who has shot just about 90 percent of all his deer with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth? maybe i dont know enough "pros" but i sure do know a lot of guys that are as lucky as can be. how about you guys? i wear scent blocker everything and have learned a ton since i started bow hunting. i still wish i had more luck though.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:17 PM

Default RE: i'd rather be lucky than good

Luck does play a role in hunting, but if you are wanting to consistently kill mature deer, forget about luck, work your a$$ off, and it will pay off.

Sure, I know some guys who have killed a big buck or 2 by luck, but if you took an 10yr average, it would be no quesiton who's the better hunter. I am much more impressed by the guy that has five 140' class bucks on his wall that the guy that has one 160'.

Consistency has very little to do with luck.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to admit that one of my biggest bucks came buy my brother hunting a peace of property and doing all the scouting. One afternoon he called me and told me about this great place he had been hunting but with no success? And wanted to know if i would like to go with him the next morning So i did! i never scouted or even seen this place before in my life! he put me in a place he sead was not to bad and i might see something well to make a long story short I took a 133 7/8 P&Y gross and 128 1/8 net buck and saw 3 other bucks and two does All my brother sead was man you are lucky I`ll take luck any day over skill.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

To each his own. I would prefer to be good.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:48 PM

I too would rather be good, then lucky. Because when you don't have good luck going your way, you are stuck with bad luck.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Luck can play a role at any given moment....but being good will give you many more moments for luck to come into play.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:36 PM

I dont believe in luck. Oh sure, if one of my relatives drops a nice buck, ill say, "oh you lucky SOB" lol and congratulate them. but i personally believe that luck doesnt exist. its fictitious. just a matter of right place right time. yeah, some people are crappy and happen to kill a couple of great bucks. some guy that is crappy may never killed a nice buck. not luck, just a matter of being at that spot. I would rather be good if i had to pick. I dont call myself lucky. i've been branded by a few as being lucky, having shot a 140" 9 point in only my second deer season. but i worked hard for him. i learned from my mistakes i had made the day before(being caught in the wrong position). i put my hours in scouting. my blood sweat and tears go into the hunt. Going into my 4th deer sesaon with 11 deer killed, im feeling pretty darn good. im a better hunter than i have ever been. One of the greatest compliments i've ever received was after showing the pictures of my buck to the sport shop owner we're good friends with. i was walking out of the store carrying some stuff out and i heard him say to my dad, "You know, not all of that was luck." i wanna put that in gold.

Good luck yall

slayer
Old 07-28-2004, 06:54 AM

if you are wanting to consistently kill mature deer, forget about luck, work your a$$ off, and it will pay off.
I agree 100% AKA Belle Island!
I don't mind being lucky but I prefer to be good. Good will prevail over luck over the long haul.
Old 07-28-2004, 07:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Luck is fickle..... Good is reoccuring on a regular basis.

I have "Unlucky" and "Un-Good" people call me "Lucky" every year.[8D][8D]
Old 07-28-2004, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd rather be GOOD than LUCKY any day. Luck is just that ... LUCK.

Becoming GOOD at anything is usually done through hard work and lots of failure.

Quick Reply: i'd rather be lucky than good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.