Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Red Oaks

Old 07-25-2004, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default Red Oaks

Up here in my part of Maine we have very few oaks and those that we have are red oaks.Are they as much candy as the whites or will they pass them for other browes?Ron
Old 07-25-2004, 09:00 AM

Default RE: Red Oaks

Depends what other browse you have. Deer love any acorns. They are high in fat and protein, and they can stay in cover when eating.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:14 AM
Typical Buck

Im from New England as well and look to hunt near acorns.

What will deer use as a secondary source of food if the acorn crop is short this year?

Jim
Old 07-25-2004, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer prefer white oak acorns but will also gladly indulge in reds if easily available. It's kinda like you having a T-bone or a hot dog. The T-bone would likely be your first choice but the tube steak will do if the T-bone isn't available!
Old 07-25-2004, 12:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Beechnuts
Old 07-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Everyone always says they like the white oaks so much. They do, but they eat all of the reds too. The white oak produces much smaller crops around here than the reds. They do like beech nuts and hickory nuts too.

If the acorns are there they will come!
Old 07-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Any of you guys crack open and taste the differnce between acorns?
Old 07-26-2004, 11:06 AM

Ron,

I know what you mean by lack of oak trees. I have a camp in Handcock county and there are very few good stands of oak around. The paper company cuts the big mast producing trees and what's left standing is too small to produce. If you've got red oaks and no white oaks your reds will be a perfered source of food. If you have reds and white the whites will take precedence.

Most of my hunting grounds are void of good white oaks. The property I hunt in New Hampshire is covered with beech trees. Problem is there are so many of them they don't concentrate the deer. IMO the key is to find the best food source in the area and get between it and their beds.

Where about in Maine Ron?
Old 07-26-2004, 11:31 AM

I recently read this information from Quality Whitetails magazine.
Deer prefer the white oak acorns over the red oak due to the lower tannin content. Tannin is a chemical produced in plants to deter predators from eating them. You can taste the difference in the two. The red oak acorn is much more bitter. The tannin also causes trouble for an animals ability to digest protein. Deer's saliva contains compounds that bind to the tannin and reduces the protein digestive problem. The red oak family acorns contain 2 & 4 times the amount of fat content compared to the white oak.
Also the red oak group produce larger acorn crops when compared to the white oak.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where they grow close to each other Id list them like this

Sawtooth oak
White oak
Red oak

Chessnut oaks are prefered in Pa where I hunt .

Quick Reply: Red Oaks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.