Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Homemade archery targets >

Homemade archery targets

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade archery targets

Old 07-20-2004, 04:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Homemade archery targets

Hey
just wondering if anyone had any good ideas for any homemade targets
thanks
pat
Old 07-20-2004, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Homemade archery targets

If you know anyone that sprays industrial spray foam, that works pretty good. I've been trying to find some good foam to make a layered foam target like a Block. But I cant seem to find anything that will work well.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:30 PM

I have made two different type targets.
For one get two 2x6 boards and two all-thread rods. Drill holes about two inches from each end in the middle.Cut and lay strips of cardboard in the middle of the boards, when you have enough tighten the all thread to sandwich the cardboard between the two pieces of wood. You can add two more pieces or wood at the bottom to form a T shape to keep from falling over.
The other is a bag target, with a seed sac from the local feed store. Stuff it with rags then staple it shut.
Both work ok but keep them out of the rain.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:54 PM

good ideas my target is shredded but i dont feel like buying a new one
Old 07-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

try old couch pillows straped together
Old 07-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Have you tried the old apple on the head?

Sorry couldn't resist after the neighboor shot his son post.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:48 PM

Best target I ever used I'm still using. I bought a plastic container from wal-mart. Filled it with an old comforter my wife was going to throw out and taped a piece of cardboard over the front. When I wear out the card board I just replace it. Works great. I set it on a hay bail when I want to shoot and carry it in to the garage when I'm done. Just don't use your wife's best bed cover she might use you as a target . It cost about $6 to $15 depending on whether you buy an expensive fancy plastic container or a cheap one and if you use a hay bail to put it on or just sit it on your truck bed .
Old 07-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

if you want an excellent archery target have i got one for you. find 1 old sleeping bag around the house. we all have one that the zipper is broken on it and we probably dont use it because of that. well guess what you can use it for an archery target. go to the feed store and buy two bales of straw. stand them up with one behind the other and using some twine or rope tie them together. i know what you are thinking but wait. now fol sleeping bag in half like you would zip it up and then fold that in half. get two pieces of electric galvanized conduit from the local home depot and cut at least one foot taller than the bales. drive one in the ground on each side of the bales till same highth. using the straps on the sleeping bag or rope tie the corners of the folded sleeping bag to the poles. cost about $7 and i have shot the hell out of it. stops all my arrows with field tips. i have used broadheads and they do cut through but it still stoped them. excellent large target for $7. i plan on making another if i can sneak out the good sleeping bags.lol.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

sorry about spelling. but make sure sleeping bag is kind of loose. not falling but not taught either.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:33 AM

I've been trying to find some good foam to make a layered foam target like a Block. But I cant seem to find anything that will work well.
We trash a ton of that block foam pad type material away at work and I've always wanted to make a target out of it, but I can't figure out a way to compress it and band it together. I actually think you can buy that foam from www.uline.com I'm not sure it would be economical though.

Quick Reply: Homemade archery targets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.