Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 who really uses one of these? >

who really uses one of these?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

who really uses one of these?

Old 07-20-2004, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: who really uses one of these?

Yep - here in IL anything electronic on your bow is illegal, as are electronic calling devices.
Wouldn't you consider those LED lights on sights 'something electronic'?

Better check your facts before tossing around regulations fellas - some people including myself take laws and regulations very seriously

2003-2004 Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations, page 36, bottom left of the page - and I quote:

"Q. Can I use mechanical deer decoys or electronic calls for deer hunting? A. Yes. Illinois law does not prohibit the use of mechanical deer decoys or electronic calls for deer hunting. (Note: both electronic turkey decoys and electronic calls are ILLEGAL for turkey hunting)."

Furthermore, Illinois Legal Archery Equipment does not specify what accessories you may or may not have on your bow except broadhead size and material, and full or partial draw aids.

I recommend either reading the digest again or calling your local CO before "educating" anyone else on Illinois Regulations!
http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/systems/2003-04%7Edigest/index.htm
Old 07-20-2004, 06:45 PM

thats not hunting
Old 07-20-2004, 07:02 PM

Illegal in Washington... Wouldn't use one if I could either.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Illegal in Idaho as well....
Old 07-21-2004, 12:16 AM

In WA anything electronic on a bow is illegal.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:36 PM

I am not sure about GA. Below is the paragraph from our Regs. I would read this to say that it is illegal. Seems like it would take the skill out of the challenge anyway.

Primitive Weapons: Legal weapons during primitive weapons season include crossbows (scopes legal), bow and arrow, and muzzleloading firearms. Muzzleloader hunters must use iron sights or peep sights (fiber-optic material is OK) during primitive weapons season. Scopes and other optical sighting devices may not be used during the primtive weapons deer season.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

A guy at my pro shop said they rigged a laser on a bow just for fun and they could robin hood arrows consistintly. Now these were probably already good shooters but they said it did work well.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:08 PM

I live in Georgia also and have never heard of anyone using one. But I would read this line to mean it would be illegal.
Scopes and other optical sighting devices may not be used during the primtive weapons deer season.
Besides wouldn't the distance from the deer have an effect on the sight of the lazer. Isn't that why we use multiple sites to set up for different distances. A lazer is a straight beam of light. It would hit a deer the same from 20 to 100 yards (if ya get what i'm sayin').