Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

G, T, A, A, A,

Old 07-20-2004, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: G, T, A, A, A,

So when he had carbons and regular broadheads then the arrow would plane too much (because of the speed) and he couldn't get it under control.

Hikchick,

One of my good friends, who's bow I tune, shoots 301 fps (Bowtech Black Knight) with fixed blades and his bow shoots great. I wouldn't narrow it down to a speed thing. It's more like a speed/broadhead/tune thing. Some broadheads will shoot very well out of a well tuned bow even at 300 fps.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good Things About Aluminum Arrows?

I like them. They are cheaper by the dozen, than carbons. I still shoot an old PSE Edge 1000C lefty compound (you know, the old round wheel, dual cam, tear-drop cable system, type of bow). It still shoots great and accurate. I use Easton XX-75's in #2315 and 125gr field tips/broadheads and never have a problem. At 65# draw weight, and 30" draw length, my old PSE is setup perfectly and accurate out to 40 yards.

Butch A.
Old 07-20-2004, 11:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Silent,
Yes, that is true. It is possible and some people do shoot fixed blades above 280 fps. But, I wouldn't recommend it for the average bowhunter. Once your arrow goes above that it can become unstable and unforgiving. It also depends upon the broadhead. Certain fixed blade broadheads can't fly at those speeds without planing severly. I myself shoot carbons. Simply because that's what works best for me and with my bow. But, my husband loves his heavy alluminum arrows because of the high kinetic energy that it carries. It will blow through an elk like a hot knife through butter! I've seen it's power and am quite impressed that it can be controlled so well with the appropriate setup.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:03 AM

you can always use the bent ones for tomato stakes!

AL
Old 07-21-2004, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

One good thing about aluminum that nobody has mentioned yet... There is only ONE major manufacturer of aluminum arrows. There are a TON of outfits pumping out carbon arrows and not a single shop in the country carries more than a few different brands. The 2315 XX75 Camo you buy in Florida will be the exact same 2315 XX75 Camo you'll find in Oregon.

Think of this scenario. You're set up with, say, Carbon Express arrows, fly to a hunt in, maybe, Alaska and find out the airline lost your arrow box. You find out that there's not a single place to buy Carbon Express arrows within 500 miles of where you're hunting. You have to buy a different brand which has different shooting characteristics. So, you get to spend a day of your hunt retuning and resighting your bow to the different arrows.

On the other hand, if you're set up with 2315's and your arrows get lost, you simply walk in the store and buy another set of 2315's identical to the ones you're tuned up and sighted in for.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm all for aluminums. I have never really found a carbon that I liked (at least for a long period of time). Because of my bad shoulder, I only practice with fixed broadheads (except when I do my 5 feet from the target sessions, then I use field points), and I have found for me that aluminums are much better then anything else.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Arthur P
On the other hand, if you're set up with 2315's and your arrows get lost, you simply walk in the store and buy another set of 2315's identical to the ones you're tuned up and sighted in for.
That's why I still like Easton XX75's in #2315. At 65# draw weight, 65% letoff, and a 30" draw, using a heavy old, PSE Edge Series 1000C bow, I don't know what a compatible carbon arrow would be. The bow shop set me up to shoot #2315's cut to 30 1/2" with 125gr tips. So.... that's what I use.

Butch A.