Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Friendly doe

Old 07-18-2004, 05:55 PM

Default RE: Friendly doe

I sometimes have a hard enough time shooting them without that. Dang... you'll have me looking for collars and name tags now.
You big ol softy. As I get older, 56 now, I find myself letting more and more walk. I see a day coming when i take just my stand, climb a tree and take a nap.
Old 07-18-2004, 06:46 PM

I have a lot of emotions about this incident, ranging from aggravation to simpathy and even feel a friendship towards the deer. It's one of those things thats under my skin but out of my hands.

I had the same thing happen to me but with a buck. Here is a pic. Was squirrel hunting and walked up on this little guy. He followed me around like a dog and even tagged along when i walked to the truck. I know what your feeling 3 Step. If she groups up with other does she might have a chance man that's the only way to think about it.

Old 07-18-2004, 09:36 PM

Cool pic Ate-up. After I left my house I realized that I left my camera at home but I figured that I wouldn't see anything so I didn't go back and get it.
I tried to get her to come over in front of my trail cam but she wouldn't go for it. Thanks for your post.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:40 PM

well, let me say this. i lived on the edge of a state park at one time and hunted on our property. there were deer with collars on. i had countless opps to shoot a collared deer and never did. let's hope that the person in the stand sees the collar and realizes that the deer is part of some project or something isnt right. the deer can survive other than that. i do not think that it will starve if there is food to eat. it's not like a BIG CAT..it doesnt have to hunt. remember...when u get hungry, u will nibble on anything...
Old 07-18-2004, 10:03 PM

I didn't think of that. I knew carnivores hunted and wouldn't learn to hunt with dead food. Herbivores eat plants, and if you just put some hay down it would make no difference, they could still forage.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:07 AM

It now stands no chance of surviving in the wild thanks to some liberal
I didn't know this was a political thing

It is sure a shame when people take the liberty to play god. What this deer needed was to be left alone as a fawn. Not coddled. I hope this deer the best this season but I'm not real optimistic.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

How do you know it wasn't someones pet that was loose. Why is everyone assuming that it's in the wild for good or that it wasn't raised and released at an early age? I have known people that either owned deer and let them run free or that raised deer when they were young and released them that the deer returned back to the peoples house on occaision and would let them pet it etc.

Why did you start to take the collar off?
Old 07-19-2004, 10:49 AM

Well if it's a pet that is let to roam loose, it's chances for survival are just as slim come deer season, unless it doesn't roam into any hunting areas.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:23 AM

Why did you start to take the collar off?
I took it off, don't know why. I guess cause you just don't see deer wearing reflective collars. But after thinking about it I put it back on.
I ask the people that live in the area and no one knew of anyone that owned a deer.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hate to say it, but if it were me i would go and take care of it. Take it some feed bags, and some apples, you could probably leave her under your tree during the rut and get some big bucks to come in, haaaaah!! I am kidding but that would be so kewl, just to bait a buck with a live doe without tying her up, boy that would be a trip.

Quick Reply: Friendly doe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.