Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Another question from Mr. Ignorant >

Another question from Mr. Ignorant

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Old 07-17-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Another question from Mr. Ignorant

Hey guys and gals,
Now that I have my bow, I guess I'll need to get some arrows. With about two months until bow season, I'm getting anxious to get out and shoot. I already know that carbon arrows seem to be the arrow type of choice, but given my bow's specs, what should I look for in an arrow?
My bow is a Mathews Legacy with a 28" draw. The poundage is set around 63 lbs right now but by hunting season I expect to crank it down to 68 or 70 lbs. I have already almost broken the bank with the purchase of the bow itself, so could anybody recommend some affordable and reliable arrows?
Please be detailed, otherwise it'll just go right over my head!

Any info you could give regarding broadheads (brand, size, etc.) would be appreciated too. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Another question from Mr. Ignorant

So let me get this straight....

Does this mean if someone answers it.... He's Mr. Ignorant?

That's what I thought[&:]... I ain't answering.

Now if you had a question for Mr. Smartass.... I'd bet you'd get lots of answers.[8D]

OK... OK I'll give you an answer. First off, unless you can handle the extra poundage VERY comfortably.... why crank it up to a higher poundage to hunt. Most people prefer to crank it down a couple pounds if anything to allow for stiff muscles from hours on stand and cold weather.

BUT... should you want to look for new arrows... going from 63 to 67 or 68 could be just enough to throw you into a different arrow completely. A broadhead on the end is not the same as a field point. Add the extra poundage and it just may throw your setup off.

I shoot ICS hunters with a heavy(125 fixed blade) According to MOST charts I should be fine with one arrow.... but when it came to broadheads I needed the next stiffer. Stiffer is better than to weak. If you shoot a lesser head, say 100, I'd probably be alright. When you get into and extra few pounds and a broadhead it "CAN" get iffy but not necessarily so. Here's a link that you can use to find the "RECOMMENDED"(it's a guide not and absolute) arrow for your set up. Just plug in your values and you'll see. You can play with different combinations etc and see if it changes. Even plugging in a couple more pounds than you expect to shoot could be advantagious to see if you're on the fence. Mark it as a favorite and use it. All kinds of good things in there.

I'm not an arrow shopper so really can't tell you the best buys. I've always errored toward the positive with XX78s and ICS Hunters. I know there are cheaper.... but to me a few dollars extra for a better quality arrow is money well spent. Why would I pay $650 dollars for a bow and then skimp on the business end of the setup?

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/eastonchart.html
Old 07-17-2004, 04:32 PM

Thanks very much for the info, David. BTW, my post was actually entitled:
Another question FROM Mr. Ignorant (not FOR Mr. Ignorant)!

Old 07-17-2004, 04:48 PM

I like the Goldtip 5575 you can pick them up on ebay very reasonably $40 a dozen range.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:48 PM

I wouldnt buy anything from Ebay..get set up at a pro shop..Carbon Express is the best carbon arrow on the market right now. try the CX line. If you must have american made, goldtip or beman should work for you. my recommendation is Carbon Express CX-200's. $120 a dozen, but its well worth it.

slayer
Old 07-17-2004, 07:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm going to have to start wearing my glasses while on the puter.[&:][&:]
Old 07-17-2004, 09:53 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot the Mathew's FX at a 28" draw. I have shot the 2213 Ultra Lite XX-75 arrows since I bought my first Compound Bow a Martin Lynx Magnum. They do just fine up to 70 pounds but for hunting I prefer from 60 to 65 pounds.

And since I am retired, the XX-75, in 2213 don't break my bank . . . an easy thing to do these days.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:12 AM

I have already almost broken the bank with the purchase of the bow itself
You probably spent a grand setting up your bow and now you want to shoot cheap arrows? Makes no sence at all. Spend $100 or $120 and buy the best arrows $$$$ can buy.

I'd suggest Goldtip pro shafts. They'll cost you the better part of a c-note but you and your bow deserve it. So do the nice people of Utah. There made in the USA.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:45 AM

You can get 1/2 a dozen good arrows for $50 or less. I would go that route. Shoot them, if they fly great and you think you need more, go buy more.

Contrary to what many bowhunters on this board think, you don't need 3 dozen arrows on hand at all times.
Old 07-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot Easton arrows. All price ranges for carbon. I have shot lightspeeds, and now have some C2's

As for specifics sounds like you are giong to need 400gr carbons, thats what I shoot with a 100 grain tip.

Jim

Quick Reply: Another question from Mr. Ignorant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.