Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tree stand theft >

Tree stand theft

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree stand theft

Old 07-17-2004, 03:11 PM

Default RE: Tree stand theft

The other problem with that set up - especially on public land - is that others will use your stand. You never know if they scent the area up, take a deer you've been working for, or just piss on your tree for the hell of it. A good light-weight climber is not as easy as just climbing into your stand early in the AM, but there are some great benefits.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:48 PM

gwt yourself the lone wolf alpha system....i have it and can get in any tree in minutes...u can leave the strap around the tree that u attach your stand to..no on will need that good luck
Old 07-18-2004, 09:48 PM

o...or get the double bull t2 blind..i have that too and the deer walk by it when it is set properly
Old 07-19-2004, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Removable steps will help deter thiefs, but they're not gonna work 100% of the time. You'll find a lot of lowlifes carrying screw-in steps around with them just for the sole purpose of stealing treestands.

Chaining/cabling/locking a stand to the tree will also deter thiefs, but once again not all the time. Too many people with hacksaws and bolt cutters out there these days.

The only way I've ever found to stop thiefs is simply to take the stand with you when you leave. Hunting out of a ladder type stand isn't very much fun when you have to take it up and down all the time, so why don't you try using a climber or hang-on? I use Loc-On and Gorilla stands and they're very easy to get in and out of a tree. Usually if I'm leaving it only overnight and coming back in the morning I'll leave it up, but if I'm gonna be gone for a few days I take it down. The thing is, you usually don't have to take it all the way out of the woods with you. A lot of times I'll bury my stand under a deadfall and cover it up well enough that it can't be seen even when I know where it's at. Thiefs are never gonna find it then.

Last but not least you can sit out in the woods 24 hours a day and when the SOB comes by to steal your stand you can shoot him in the back and bury him in a swamp where nobody will ever find him.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:12 AM

Removeable tree steps will keep most away. But it's sorry to say if they want it they will take it. Unless you plan on making a stand like the Alimo a dirty theif will prevail. [:'(]
Old 07-19-2004, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

I can't believe I am saying this (more laws), but I truely think two things must happen for this growing epidemic to decline.

1. States need to enact laws that take away the priviledges of those that steal stands or cameras (etc.).

If convicted, they would lose their hunting priviledges for 5 YEARS.
If convicted twice, LIFETIME ban on hunting AND fishing.

(2) strikes you are out.
I'm not waiting for 3.

2. ENFORCE #1. ABOVE!!!
Old 07-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well great if they are a hunter. What they are anti-hunters? Don't think all stands are stolen by hunters. There are enough laws on the books. I say that stealing a legally placed stand is harassment AND theft. The hard part of course is to catch the thief. Makes no difference how many laws there are, you still have to catch them.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

its not that we need MORE laws, i think we need to be able to fine the crap out of them. garnish their wages to pay HUGE fines... i mean dont get me wrng but grand theft is anything over like 600$ in Il i believe. between the three stands i have they are DAMN close to 700$ so if some one were to steal all of them i want them to be held acountable. now proving that they took it without FINDING the evidence in their pick up would be easier said than done. or they should be put into a ring with some unruley dogs that bite yer nuts....
Old 07-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Uncle Norby...that's why it is so great to see hidden camera technology becoming affordable for everyone.

Caller ID killed the widespread crank call phenomina of the late 70's / early 80's (barring Crank Yankers).

The hidden camera, will take a bite out of a lot of theft in the next few years.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:19 PM

My advice is put up another stand hiden from your original stand. Sit in the second stand just like deer season your benefits will be seeing what deer a now using the trails by your original stand and you will be able to shoot the stand thief with a good old bludgen tip just about the time he decides he wants to grab that stand. You probably would also have a shot at winning americas funniest home videos if you tape the event. Not to mention cops. Just a thought

Quick Reply: Tree stand theft

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.