Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scary Things, Boo! >

Scary Things, Boo!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scary Things, Boo!

Old 07-14-2004, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scary Things, Boo!

This question comes up all the time "When you are out in the woods by yourself have you ever seen or heard anything that has made you scared?" My answer is generally the standard "Hell ya! When you hunt by yourself you swear you just saw a ghost." Well sportsman I am not ashamed to admit there has been times when I have seen/heard things I wish I would of never encountered. For the most part there is always one thing every year that I can not explain. Perhaps it is my mind that is playing tricks on me but some times I have to chalk it up as an Art Bell encounter. For instance this past year I heard what I beleived to be a dark loud growl. Trust me it was not a dog. The only thing that I could say is it must of been a bear. In my area there has been two confirmed sightings in the last fifty years. Something must be out there. Another time I saw an animal looked like a goat with red eyes and moved faster than any animal I have ever seen. This one spooked the living day lights out of me and I refused to get out of the stand until a buddy of mine came and met me at my sight. I did not budge from the stand until I saw his flashlight coming towards my stand. He still never lets that one go. My question to you is, have you seen/heard anything in the woods that some might say is odd?
Old 07-14-2004, 09:18 PM

Default RE: Scary Things, Boo!

LAY OFF DA GRASS BRO!!!
Old 07-14-2004, 09:21 PM

i dont see anythings...most the time i even get that thought i jsut say to myself, you are armed and deadly. nothing can even touch you. maybe a cougar? nah..if i got one of the guns with me, im fine...ill put a bullet through the hide of anything trying to hurt me or with the intent to hurt me. that goes for anything like freaky goats too. with a bow, its just a little bit slower to shoot

slayer
Old 07-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mohoning!
I've heard thing's but of course your going to encounter these type of situation's while hunting in a bush ,there's lot's of wildlife running around and they can make some unusual sound's and noises when surprised. But I think you've been watching too many horror stories on TV.

nubo
Old 07-14-2004, 09:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Yea back when I use to gun hunt I shot a Doe and took out her spine. She managed to crawl 60' into some real thick pine trees about 6 feet tall. By the time I went to get her, it was pitched black and the only thing you could see were her eyes blinking at me. I remember saying under my breath "god I hope thats the deer and not the IT from steven Kings book." I had to crawl in and do the nasty. Slice the throat.

One other time my hunting buddy was in a tree before dawn and a scretch owl was 5 feet from him when it sctreched. He about sh@t his pants.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:10 PM

I've never seen anything out of the ordinary, but I have heard a few things that made my skin crawl. I actually enjoy that kind of thing though, it gets the blood pumping.

Have you guys ever seen that movie "Wrong Turn," it was set not too far from where I hunt.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i dont ever remember being scared of something walking to stand. there was once about 3 years ago when i was in the woods alone looking for deer sign. all the sudden i heard some crashing and i saw something run about 30 yards from me. it looked similar to a deer but was black. it probly weighed about 150 pounds. it was really weird. i dont think it even new i was there. w/e it was it was haulin @$$
Old 07-14-2004, 10:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep! seen the movie wrong turn ,sure look's like great hunting country . But I sure hope I don't run into them guy's who live there hahaha

nubo
Old 07-14-2004, 10:36 PM

I was once walking out of the woods after dark with no light & was crossing this big field....next thing you know I stepped into a covey of quail & when they took off they scared me half to death. after I got out it made me laugh but at that moment it wasn't too funny
Old 07-14-2004, 10:38 PM

The black thing hauling ass, was it in spring, it might have been a bear fresh out of hibernation, and i bet it knew u were there if it was a bear. The place where i was bear hunting, My buddy climbed up his stand a good 20 ft in a tree and he found a deer leg. There are cougers where we hunt. They have been seen not to far away. One was seen by a guy bear hunting about 200 yrds from where i deer hunted this year. But the couger was seen about 5 years ago. It is still creepy tho. My scariest time in the woods when either when we got lost at night looking for my brothers wounded bear, or when i was partially lost in a huge thunderstorm trying to get back to my cabin. The lightning was so close i very nearly $hit my pants.

Quick Reply: Scary Things, Boo!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.