HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Swithed to a one pin sight and I have to say.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/65834-swithed-one-pin-sight-i-have-say.html)

BobCo19-65 07-13-2004 09:58 AM

RE: Swithed to a one pin sight and I have to say....

Straight down shots are slam dunk, if you have a pin for it. If you sight a pin and practice you can nail them every time.
What do you aim for stright down? Spine?

livbucks 07-13-2004 10:22 AM

Like I said before, a totally straight down shot would be foolish. What I mean by staight down is about 5 to 7 yards out from 18 feet up. Aim high in the ribcage with an angle through the vitals, I shot my first buck that way. He fell over right there and never got up again. Your arrow will be angling down quite a bit, so you have to enter high enough to pass thru the center. I saw a doe shot that way on an old bowhunting video from the 80's too. The arrow passed completely through and pinned her to the ground. If I remember correctly she fell over right there too. It's called
"bowhunting October Whitetails". It's a classic, look it up.

Blakeyboy 07-13-2004 02:12 PM

First post here, been at eders raisin heck for a season now. Seems like a hot spot for bowhunters here, looks good.

I can see the merrit in the one pin system and thought long and hard about it for a time before i actually got in front of game etc. and had to take advice from the bowhunter who got me into this sport on going with fixed pins for multiple distances simply for the speed to draw and shoot many times required in hunting. Lots a time from a tree or ground blind this might not be an issue but moving around type hunting i think the fixed pins are faster. Even with a single pin i can see that you'd have to make a mental note to hold high or low just about every shot due the fact the deer prolly won't always step out at 25 yrds so you'll prolly still mentalize the yardage and adjust anyhow no??? Thats how i figure i'd do it if i had only one pin as i'd want to pick a specific spot to hit, not just in the kill zone in general...know what i mean. My buck last november was the 6th buck chasing one doe and somehow he gave me a shot opportunity. When i saw him comin it was at 60 yrds and i had to draw right then, i knew he'd follow the same line as the doe and other 5 bucks, tongue hangin out etc. he was tired and stopped at the fenceline and turned to sniff something and gave me the quartering away...i would not have had time to make an adjustment as i would have not even got the shot opportunity had i not recognized him at 60 and comin. From the time i recognized him and drew to the shot was mere seconds....if that and i still had to mentalize his range to put it right where i needed too, can't say it would have been any different with only one pin. So i guess its hoarses for courses, or whatever that saying is but i listen carefully to the experienced ones also but this time i'm gonna agree to disagree as you can get just as quick with multi pins in my eye...but i havn't tried the single pin. After a season and four deer under my belt i couldn't imagine going to one pin. I suppose it all works and its whatever you get used to. Plus shooting ground squirrels in the summer its nice to have the extra pins, perdy small targets.

B

ps. dang about the Len/hypershock thread, i was kinda hopin to say something there also...was excellent data none the less

livbucks 07-13-2004 02:24 PM

Can I ask where you are from?

Blakeyboy 07-13-2004 02:31 PM

Ask me anythin, calgary alberta. Member of lots of forums, i rarely change my sign up names, some variation of my real name Blake but many times that one is already taken.
B