HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Swithed to a one pin sight and I have to say.... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/65834-swithed-one-pin-sight-i-have-say.html)

bentbarrel 07-11-2004 06:47 PM

Swithed to a one pin sight and I have to say....

I like it so far! ;) I decided on the Impact Jumbo sight. Really bright.
I can't see myself taking a shot more than 35 yards so I decided simplicity was the best approach.

With my Patriot, I sighted in at 25 yards and can hold dead on at 30-32 yards. Still tinkering with it. But at 35-37 yards I need just a little hold over.

Anybody else like the one pin sight???

BGfisher 07-11-2004 06:53 PM

RE: Swithed to a one pin sight and I have to say....

Yes, that's how I hunt. I use an adjustable sight but for hunting it is set for 25 yadrs and leave it alone. My results are about the same as yours. No messing around thinking about yardage. Just about anything out to 30 yards you just hold the middle of the vitals and execute the shot.

Buckslayer1 07-11-2004 07:01 PM

I use 1 pin sighted in at 20 yards works out great for me.

CLOUD 9, MN 07-11-2004 07:28 PM

Yep.....it works great. I have one pin at 20 yards......30 yard self imposed maximum. Its a ery simple system as log as you practice. Just like everything else.

Good Luck!

VAhuntr 07-11-2004 07:42 PM

Switched to 1 pin at the urging of a friend a few years ago and have been very pleased. Definately keeps things simple.

bob d 07-11-2004 08:05 PM

all i every used one pin and fingers .... aahhhhh simplicity

Carpmaster 07-11-2004 08:18 PM

One pin seems to make things much more simple.

huntnma 07-12-2004 04:01 AM

i'm going to do it too......in the heat of the moment i want to be looking through the right one.....

livbucks 07-12-2004 07:23 AM

I have been using one pin for about 8 years. Since I started using carbons I have found that I only need one. I zero my groups at 20 yards and aim for center of mass. With the flat trajectory of the carbons I'm good and deadly from 10 yards to 30. I really don't know why anyone would shoot beyond 30 yards. I feel it's too risky no matter what. I do have two pins on my sight though. I have one pin strictly for straight down shots from a tree stand. If you try this method you will find that using your main pin for straight down shots will not yield an accurate hit.

BobCo19-65 07-12-2004 07:27 AM

I really don't know why anyone would shoot beyond 30 yards
For practice.........

adams 07-12-2004 08:12 AM

I've hunted with a single pin for a few years. My new sight has two on it for now but I'll probably remove one soon.

Arthur P 07-12-2004 08:21 AM

All you gotta do now is get rid of that last pin and BE FREE! [8D]

I hunted with my bows for more than 20 years before I ever tried sights. Hunted a few times with sights and decided... I like sights for target shooting but can't stand them on a hunting bow.

livbucks 07-12-2004 08:40 AM

You got a point, Arthur P. When I first started bowhunting at age 15 I shot instinctive only, and killed two nice bucks in the first 4 years. I have to add though that back when I was a kid, I shot several hours every day and was a hell of a shot. I lived for bowhunting and dreamed not of girls in my sleep but of my bow! With wife and kids now, I don't get to practice much and that one pin keeps me in the game.

Tazman 07-12-2004 08:55 AM

This up coming season will be my forth using one pin, I find it far easier using one pin, the minor adjustment for different distances come naturally after enough practice.

extreme1 07-12-2004 09:00 AM

I just might do the same thing myself.I am shooting pins now at 20-30-40 yards and the 20 isn"t to far from the 30.I will probably site it in for 25 yards and be done with it.Will keep my 40 yard pin on though of-course:)

Tazman 07-12-2004 10:43 AM

extreme1 I would like to advise you to do this well before season, you need to practice enough to where holding that little bit high or low becomes natural, once you have praticed enough it will come natural.

mobow 07-12-2004 11:16 AM

Like everyone else here, I recently switched to a single pin mover and really like it. Just like all else, I like the simplicity of it. No using the wrong pin, the sight window isn't cluttered, and I, too, have mine set @ 25 yards and leave it alone. I don't know about ya'll, but I get nervous enough when I know I am gonna get a shot. The less I have to think about, the better.

c903 07-12-2004 12:09 PM

One pin is all anyone needs as long as he or she knows exactly where the shaft hits on the POA at distances greater or less than the sighting-in yardage. I was using one pin on recurves in the 60's and on my compounds in the early 70's.

However, regardless that today's compound bows, even some recurves, are capable of greater energy, there is no such animal as a "flat trajectory" with an arrow off any bow. Additionally, the degree of drop is highly individual to the person, to the bow, to the arrow setup, and with height and angle, etc.

Although your bow might be considered a high-energy bow (fast), when you sight in at 20 to 25 yards, other factors might be putting that arrow on the mark at its peak of trajectory. Therefore, the arrow might drop very quickly past the distance of sighting in. Correspondingly, if the arrow is peaking its trajectory at 20 or 25 yards, a 10 to 15 yard shot off the pin-setting might send the arrow very low below the zone.

Set the pin at a fixed yardage, but know positively where the arrow hits at less or greater yardage the sighting-in distance, and from the heights and angles you will be shooting from and at when in actual hunting conditions.

What works for one, seldom works for all.

pdq 5oh 07-12-2004 12:15 PM

Always used one pin for hunting. It just becomes natural, knowing where to hold at a given distance. There's never the decision making problem. Which pin do I use? No second guessing. Is that the right pin? Practice, and one pin becomes second nature.

Arthur P 07-12-2004 01:16 PM

Careful there, Phil... You're going to sire a new shooting style if you don't watch yourself. SPIS = Single Pin Instinctive Shooting.

Rack-attack 07-12-2004 01:44 PM

I really don't know why anyone would shoot beyond 30 yards. I feel it's too risky no matter what

I do have two pins on my sight though. I have one pin strictly for straight down shots from a tree stand

I will take a 40 yd broadside shot over a straight down shot EVERY time.

I shoot out to 40 BUT I WON'T take a straight down shot.........EVER!

livbucks 07-12-2004 02:10 PM

Straight down shots are slam dunk, if you have a pin for it. If you sight a pin and practice you can nail them every time. The thing is though that you should have been prepared and taken the shot at your ideal range. Mine is 20 yards. I only have it for the rare chance that my buck of a lifetime ghosts in on me and sits in my lap. I dont shoot over 30 because in the woods there are too many tiny limbs that you can't always see and string jump occurs because they have time to react at that range. Of course I don't mean totally straight down, that would be foolish. I mean 5 yards or so from a height of 18 to 20 feet up.

Double Creek 07-12-2004 02:17 PM

Got to love the new guys

livbucks 07-12-2004 02:23 PM

ELABORATE, PLEASE.

nubo 07-12-2004 02:24 PM

I used the Impact Archery Cosmic last season ,it's avery bright sight and work's great for hunting. I have the Spott Hogg on right now for shooting 3D but I'll switch back to the Cosmic for hunting .I have my Spott Hogg set for 20,30,40,50,and 60yrds . But I set my one pin up at 25yrds and don't have to touch a thing out to 35yrds. You don't usually shoot any further in hunting situation's .

nubo

Double Creek 07-12-2004 02:27 PM

ELABORATE, PLEASE.

Some of the guys preceeding your post have decades of bowhunting experience, no need to explain how to pull off a straight down shot.

pdq 5oh 07-12-2004 02:40 PM

SPIS. I like the sound of that Arthur. :)

c903 07-12-2004 04:18 PM

Easy, Double Creek. Not all readers have decades of hunting experience. In addition, decades of hunting might not expose the shooter to everything. After 40 years of bowhunting, I am always listening for tips and tricks that sound feasible to try.

As for me, when I am in a tree stand I would prefer my shots be at 10-yards, out to the max I will shoot. When the shot is closer, form and anchor start getting precarious.

Deerslayer_37 07-12-2004 04:22 PM

HHA OL-5000 for me. Bright Green pin, adjustable too. great sight. no more deciding what pin to use.

slayer

livbucks 07-12-2004 05:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Double Creek

ELABORATE, PLEASE.

Some of the guys preceeding your post have decades of bowhunting experience, no need to explain how to pull off a straight down shot.
I'm sorry, I only have 26 years of experience. I apologize if I got a little too techie. Believe it or not, some also have little experience and look to this forum for education. My apologies to you Double Creek.

BobCo19-65 07-13-2004 09:58 AM

Straight down shots are slam dunk, if you have a pin for it. If you sight a pin and practice you can nail them every time.
What do you aim for stright down? Spine?

livbucks 07-13-2004 10:22 AM

Like I said before, a totally straight down shot would be foolish. What I mean by staight down is about 5 to 7 yards out from 18 feet up. Aim high in the ribcage with an angle through the vitals, I shot my first buck that way. He fell over right there and never got up again. Your arrow will be angling down quite a bit, so you have to enter high enough to pass thru the center. I saw a doe shot that way on an old bowhunting video from the 80's too. The arrow passed completely through and pinned her to the ground. If I remember correctly she fell over right there too. It's called
"bowhunting October Whitetails". It's a classic, look it up.

Blakeyboy 07-13-2004 02:12 PM

First post here, been at eders raisin heck for a season now. Seems like a hot spot for bowhunters here, looks good.

I can see the merrit in the one pin system and thought long and hard about it for a time before i actually got in front of game etc. and had to take advice from the bowhunter who got me into this sport on going with fixed pins for multiple distances simply for the speed to draw and shoot many times required in hunting. Lots a time from a tree or ground blind this might not be an issue but moving around type hunting i think the fixed pins are faster. Even with a single pin i can see that you'd have to make a mental note to hold high or low just about every shot due the fact the deer prolly won't always step out at 25 yrds so you'll prolly still mentalize the yardage and adjust anyhow no??? Thats how i figure i'd do it if i had only one pin as i'd want to pick a specific spot to hit, not just in the kill zone in general...know what i mean. My buck last november was the 6th buck chasing one doe and somehow he gave me a shot opportunity. When i saw him comin it was at 60 yrds and i had to draw right then, i knew he'd follow the same line as the doe and other 5 bucks, tongue hangin out etc. he was tired and stopped at the fenceline and turned to sniff something and gave me the quartering away...i would not have had time to make an adjustment as i would have not even got the shot opportunity had i not recognized him at 60 and comin. From the time i recognized him and drew to the shot was mere seconds....if that and i still had to mentalize his range to put it right where i needed too, can't say it would have been any different with only one pin. So i guess its hoarses for courses, or whatever that saying is but i listen carefully to the experienced ones also but this time i'm gonna agree to disagree as you can get just as quick with multi pins in my eye...but i havn't tried the single pin. After a season and four deer under my belt i couldn't imagine going to one pin. I suppose it all works and its whatever you get used to. Plus shooting ground squirrels in the summer its nice to have the extra pins, perdy small targets.

B

ps. dang about the Len/hypershock thread, i was kinda hopin to say something there also...was excellent data none the less

livbucks 07-13-2004 02:24 PM

Can I ask where you are from?

Blakeyboy 07-13-2004 02:31 PM

Ask me anythin, calgary alberta. Member of lots of forums, i rarely change my sign up names, some variation of my real name Blake but many times that one is already taken.
B