Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does this place have potential? >

Does this place have potential?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does this place have potential?

Old 07-11-2004, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Does this place have potential?

Take a look at this piece of property that I am looking at hunting and give me your thoughts for setups. It is very thick in the darker areas with a combination of Post Oaks and BlackJack Oaks with a short canopy (about 15') and a lot of underbrush. The field in the center will be planted in winter wheat.

Old 07-11-2004, 12:58 PM

Default RE: Does this place have potential?

In the upper left hand corner of that field, any deer signs?
I'd think since that is the most "protected" place out in the open, that is where they would pop out to feed.
But as always, walk the border, see where the tracks come in and out.
If it was me Id have a stand in the tiny little thin strip at the top, on the border of the field and the woods.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:19 PM

If it were me, I would look in the top right corner for trails going from the field (top left) to the field (top right) also I agree with Hoopy, you should walk the boarder, see if any trails are present, it looks like a good spot, you might have to work a little harder, but I think with some extra scouting things could end up paying off, Good luck!
Old 07-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a pic with some notes from our scouting trip yesterday. I think the place has potential as we saw several sets of tracks. There is cattle on the place so there are trails also running all through the brush, but it would be very tough to get in there undetected. I think the deer primarily use the brush as a bedding/staging area to feed in the fields at dawn and dusk so we were thinking of trying to limit how far we go into the trees in order to not bump the deer from their beds or staging areas. I've never hunted a place this small or of this shape and such and just wanted some advice from someone on here who may hunt areas like this on a regular basis.

Old 07-11-2004, 05:53 PM

I would hunt the inside corners. Looks like you have several ones to choose from.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a nice place to hunt. I looked over the area pretty well and i must say that I cant find much water. That looks like a stream in the upper left hand side but hard to tell. I would look for the easiest spots between the these three major factors. Not insult anyones intelligence here but I always try to find the walk ways between the bedding areas, food, and water. Find the place that you would travel that provides some protection along the way. I find myself often thinking "If I was a deer how would I move?" but with Murphy's Law things are not always that simple. As stated by other guys get in with the least amount of pressure. Easy in easy out. Have you seen any deer in that area? Keep us posted I love to see arials and how people plan to attack new places. Always fun.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

mahoningbuck:

The only year round water on the place is a pond at the far right bottom corner. It's in the only cover in that part of the property. The only problem is, that is where the campsite is. There is one more water place that we found but it is almost dry already and we are about to hit the really dry time of the year.

It all may me a mute point anyway, I just talked to the guy and he is wanting what I believe is an unreasonable amount of money to lease this property. Thanks guys.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:10 AM

I'm with the others, I'd check that upper left corner (inside field coner) bet they travel around there.

One thing you may think of, if you get the lease, is keeping that other water source wet. Get a big container, 55 gallon drum or something, and fill it up with water and dump it in that hole that's drying up. If that's the only water source around the deer will hit it.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll go a different route.

I like the thin strip of trees that nearly connect the 2 large tree groups to the southwest of ur land there.
I would look where they are crossing that road and entering your woods in the southwest corner.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also look at that northwest corner.
(No Topo But) It looks like there is a depression that runs to a creek across that field.
Might be a good funnel to check in to!

Quick Reply: Does this place have potential?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.