Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Entering a corn field... >

Entering a corn field...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Entering a corn field...

Old 07-06-2004, 09:42 PM

Default Entering a corn field...

What is the best way to enter a corn field? I have put a drawing of my hunting location in the message.

My concern is that I'm right in the middle of our property. I can't come through the woods or swamp as this is where the deer bed down, should I enter by going around the corn field and walking between the woods and field, there by putting my scent on 1/2 of the trail or should I walk on the out side of the corn field, until I'm straight across from my stand and walk straight through corn field?

The wind is usually west, northwest.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2004, 12:29 AM

Default RE: Entering a corn field...

Well...it looks like the best way to not get busted is to walk around the field, then go directly through the cornfield heading east to your stand. I don't know how big the field is, and it might be tough to do if to rows of corn are planted North/South. Walking against rows is nearly impossible for any distance.

I think the real question is, won't the deer bust you in your location with a West wind? If they bed in the swamp and woods, won't you be getting winded before they even leave their beds? Or have I read the diagram wrong? What is located directly east of your stand?

peashooter
Old 07-07-2004, 04:15 AM

Directly east of my stand is a corn field. There is a major staging area and trails directly in front of me (south), so the northwest wind doesn't hurt me to bad as most of the deer bed down in the swamp southeast of me. However, there are a fair amount of deer that travel the area directly behind me (north) between the field and woods, so I may get busted by them, but I try to hunt high enough not to.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Down-wind would be the best way, you may have to do some extra walking but it looks like it would be worth it.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you walk around the field spray your boots down well with scent killer and you should be fine.