Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What calls do I need? >

What calls do I need?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What calls do I need?

Old 07-05-2004, 06:29 PM

Default What calls do I need?

I will be hunting this year, but I don't have any deer calls. I will hunt the whole season. What type of calls and what brand would you recommend?
Old 07-05-2004, 06:59 PM

Default RE: What calls do I need?

I take two different calls with me. I like the True talker grunt tube and I also use a can call which is nothing more than a doe bleat.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

i have the primos 5 in 1 call. i mainly use it for the doe bleats and doe grunts. i also have a buck grunt call i got in the mail for free which i think does a better job than the grunt the primos call has. i use it for the buck grunts.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the true talker and on occasion I use the primos can. The thing about the can is you never know how the deer will react. Some times they come in on a string other times they totally ignore you.

I will only use them as a last chance opportunity to call one closer into range. Don't just sit out there and blind call. You will do more harm than good. IMO
Old 07-05-2004, 08:44 PM
Dominant Buck

You don't need any really.... but if you must, have a good grunt call around.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:47 PM

I never call blind. I want to watch the deer and see how they react to it. That gives me the indicator as far as what to do next. (Exp) Stay Quite, Call again ect. If they show no interest I will shut up and let them go. I know some guys that will blow the call to beat the band. Not me.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:46 PM

Zak - Deer calls, like many other things in this industry is WAY over rated! Now, with that said - I use grunt tubes (Primos Hardwoods is one of my favorites) and rattling horns (the real deal cannot be duplicated with synthetics or plastics) but do not use them at all unless I am hunting a property with good buck to doe ratios.

Most hunters never get the luxury to hunt deer on managed grounds and therefore have little or no success with calls or calling due simply to lack of interest. 10 to 1 or greater ratios (19 to 1 is closer to the average) make calling in a buck very difficult if not impossible. Why would he be interested in fighting over a hot doe when he can stroll over to the next ready doe? If you do call, make certain that the area your hunting is concealed. If your stand location is not naturally concealed, then seal it. I've got a perfect tree that I hunt each year that is located approximately 50 yards from a field and is highly visible from the field. I make a semi circle around the tree about 6 feet tall. This also allows me to sneak in and out of the tree undetected (most of the time). A deer can pinpoint your location from a single grunt from great distances. If the deer responds to your location to not see THE deer that communicated, it will never come in. Typically they will hold up out of range or vacate the area completely.

Concentrate on food sources, trails and bedding areas and you won't need to call them. If you do use them, use them sparingly. Don't blow on it like a trumpet every 5 minutes.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

get the "can" made by primos.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:36 PM

I have one of those that has a mature buck grunt young buck grunt doe and fawn grunts and bleets.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:40 PM

I have a bowgrunter by A-way. I like the hads free operation and it works be breathing in throught the grunt so it won't freeze up on cold days. It is also adjustable for social calling.

Quick Reply: What calls do I need?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.