Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?! >

Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

Old 07-03-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

A friend of mine was shooting his bow in HIS back yard (wooden fence surrounding the property) with a very well-constructed backstop. One of the people in the neighborhood called the police - and he was told that shooting a bow is illegal since it is considered a weapon[:-]. He stood his ground and asked for proof. The police officer returned with a written statement that it is in fact illegal in the city limits, and issued him a citation for DISCHARGE OF A WEAPON in the city limits[:'(][:@]!!!! I have news for these people - a horseshoe can be a weapon if it is not used properly - so is a hammer, screwdriver, etc. Archery programs are instituted in schools, where weapons are banned!! What is this world coming to.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:51 AM

Default RE: Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

It is also illegal where I live but I still shoot 10 & 20 yards inside my privacy fenced backyard. When someone reports me I will have to stop but until then lots of practice on my form.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:45 AM
BT
Typical Buck

Speaking of and ex-leo stand point.
there are some citys and towns that have ordenaces about using any weapon in the limets of the town.
they include guns,bows,xbows,air guns,and blowguns.
depending on how the statued is writen the use of slingshots and paint ball guns may all so be banned.

Know for your frind you said a" hand written statment"
whos hand? did the wrighting?
if i recived a citation i would want to see the law not a hand written pice of papper.

i would call the local shierffs dep. town councle and county commisniors to see what they say.

if infact there is a law agenst it there is no recource but if there is no law on the books i would fight it in court myself.

you also have to rember there are differince in each town here one town you can not leagle use a bow in town the naboring town allows you to deer hunt in town with a bow.

its realy up to the town
Old 07-03-2004, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is Bessemer, MI. it is Illegal to Hunt in city limits... Michigan law is stated.. You cannot DISCHARGE A WEAPON within 450 ft of any occupied dwelling unless you have permission from the owner.. Our city has an Ordinance against hunting in city limits, I am ASSUMING that is because it is the cities ordinace to not allow discharging of a weapon in city limits...

Everyone I know shoots there bows in there back yards...
And I know LOTS of people who bowhunt in city limits...

The Bessemer Board is now thinking about allowing bow hunts in city limits because of the size of the deer heard and the people complaining about the deer.. What really TURNS MY CRANK is the same people that complain about all the deer and want something done about it, are the same frickin people that WONT let you hunt there property.. wether they fall in city limits or not...
Old 07-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

MOVE, For the life of me I dont understand why anyone would want to live in a area like that. GEE cant shoot a bow,Quess a gun or sticking a deer in the back yard is also illegal. Can you all take a leak in the back yard without being a criminal???????
Old 07-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Dominant Buck

YUP... I do believe it's illegal to shoot any firearm/weapon in my neighborhood too. I do it, but not when the neighbors are out. Oh they know I do and all that... but if they're in the yards I give them peace of mind they won't play backstop. I just had a family move in next door with 2 small children. My targets will be facing the other direction this year.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:21 PM

Just reinforces the fact that this is no longer a FREE country, and contrary to popular belief, your home is not your castle. You are simply and tenant and a subject of the government. As long as you allow yourself to be led, you deserve such treatment.

I used to live in a city where you were not supposed to shoot a bow. I shot into my concrete garage everyday. Hell, you could have shot my .300 magnum through those walls.

I now live in a township, and I can shoot in my backyard. When that changes, I will move.

Dan
Old 07-03-2004, 05:04 PM

According to him, a copy of the law was brought and read to him by a sheriff's deputy, so it was a legal citation[].
Old 07-03-2004, 05:29 PM

In kind of a related issue, I got into some major ka-ka at work, for bringing a bow in. The employee handbook says "no firearms or other lethal weapons". I made sure that I didn't have any broadheads in my bowcase (which to me would have been lethal weapons) - just my bow, some arrows, and field tips. Anyway, the President (my Supervisor) came in and saw it.. and freaked out! First he told me to take it to my truck, and never bring it back. Then he changed his mind and said it was bothering him so much that he wanted me to take it home.. right then. Well, I'm salaried, so it didn't bother me any - it's a 45 minute trip one way. Obviously, my boss is not a hunter, and knows nothing about it. It should be noted that I'm a senior Manager that has been with the Company for over 7 years, and have a private office. I didn't have it in the lunch room, or out in the main employee areas, showing it off.. I thought it was a TOTAL over-reaction....
Old 07-03-2004, 06:43 PM

Here it`s not illegal to shoot your bow in the yard but if an arrow leaves your property it`s criminal negligence which is really serious.

Quick Reply: Shooting a Bow in your back yard Illegal?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.