Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Petersen's Bowhunting - Bow Reviews - Why Bother? >

Petersen's Bowhunting - Bow Reviews - Why Bother?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Petersen's Bowhunting - Bow Reviews - Why Bother?

Old 06-30-2004, 05:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Petersen's Bowhunting - Bow Reviews - Why Bother?

Deer and Deer Hunting would be good cabin fare. More articals about research and how to apply it.
Old 06-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Deer & Deer Hunting is my favorite Rick, when I happen to buy one. I gave up on the bow mags years ago. Only time I pick one up is to see what new items are on the market, usally at the store while my wife shops.[8D]
Old 06-30-2004, 08:41 PM

Deer and Deer Hunting is a great magazine, but i dont even bother with the product reviews. Yeah, I look at them and maybe sometimes it'll be something that i would consider buying. But every single one of those products they feature you can go back and find in the magazine somewhere in an ad. another thing that i hate is when guys on the hunting videos say like, " Man, i couldnt have shot this deer without my Nikon scope and this T/C Encore. that deer woulda got away had i not had that exact set up from our sponser." It's a load ofa BS.

slayer
Old 07-01-2004, 06:00 AM

Although most bows are on fairly equal ground these days, the reviews are worthless. Companies pay for these reviews, therefore they are nothing but paid advertisements. In my opinion this is close to fraud that the magazines are participating in. It should be illegal unless there is a note attached saying it was a "paid review". Pay no attention to any review. They are all complete garbage.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not all reviews are worthless. Norb Mullany's reports in Bowhunting World are very useful and informative... as long as you rely more on his charts and graphs rather than what the editors force him to write in his summary. I've seen several times where you could tell he was really stretching, trying to find ANYTHING good to say about a particular bow.

In fact, Mullany's reports are the only reason I take Bowhunting World. Take them out and the mag would be - BORING.

Most entertaining mag is Traditional Bowhunter. But I got tired of the anti-compound propaganda BS spewing from from TJ Conrads mouth every month...
Yeah, it do get a little deep sometimes, Jeff. But I like the fact that most of the stories in TBM are from 'real people' and not professional writers.

Same is true of 'Primitive Archer' magazine. You don't have to worry about wading thru much anti-compound stuff in that one. It's all about selfbows and making/hunting with your own gear. They hardly even acknowledge glass-n-plywood recurves and longbows exist, much less compounds.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Orion ! I've noticed the same thing with thier review's on different bow's it's kind of funny as far as I'm concerned ,but overall I really like thier mag .I also get BowMasters and Bow and Arrow which are good mag's for finding new gear and a few good tips on setting your bow up ,form issue's are also good .

nubo
Old 07-01-2004, 09:16 AM

It would be nice if there was a neutral 3rd party that would do testing and ratings based only on performance. Of course this group would need funding from someone (probably by the manufacturers) and then you would end up having biased opinions again.
Old 07-01-2004, 06:29 PM

Well, let's see?? The bow companies PAY to put their ads in there. Do you really think they would rag on an advertiser or potential advertiser.

Dan
Old 07-02-2004, 07:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

The way I see it lately is why bother reading any of the mag.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TheRick

It would be nice if there was a neutral 3rd party that would do testing and ratings based only on performance. Of course this group would need funding from someone (probably by the manufacturers) and then you would end up having biased opinions again.
I came very close to doing just such a thing after one of the engineers at Hoyt suggested I do so.

Of course $ became an issue almost immediately.

Quick Reply: Petersen's Bowhunting - Bow Reviews - Why Bother?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.