Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 carbon vs aluminum >

carbon vs aluminum

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

carbon vs aluminum

Old 06-24-2004, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default carbon vs aluminum

My pro shop is trying to talk me into switching to carbon arrows when my new bow gets in. He is saying the weight will be similar to my 2315s but just trying to sell me on the quality aspect. I would be interested in your thoughts. The only thing he really said was that sales are up on carbon and down on aluminum.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:48 AM

Default RE: carbon vs aluminum

I think both have their place in bowhunting. Personally I shoot carbon, but I shoot highend carbon. I like the durability of carbon and the GT advantage pro hunters are w/i .001 and 1g per dozen. I haven't found a bad arrow in the bunch.

It's hard IMO to say carbon is better or alluminum is better. There are many manufacturers of arrow and some are quality and some are not. If you're happy with alluminum I'd say stay with them. If you're looking for a change I suggest a tried and true carbon. There are plenty on the market. You way also have good luck with something along the lines of acc which gives you the best of both worlds.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are both better! Just depends what you are looking for.

--Bob
Old 06-24-2004, 07:06 AM

Like adams said - if you want a change then go for it. I'm sure your aluminums would be fine but sometimes it's fun to play with your set-ups to see if there any improvements. I made the switch to carbons last year and love them.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

just trying to sell me on the quality aspect
Just wondering what aspects those were.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Chances are he makes more money selling the carbons. If he can't give hard evidence why they are better then it isn't worth it because they will cost you more money. Go by what you like, not what others like.

I went through the same thing last time I bought arrows. They were tring to push carbon arrows and insisted I'd have to wait longer if I went with XX78's. Ok, I said. I'll take XX78's. Somehow like magic they appeared from behind the counter! Go figure.

Don't get me wrong, carbon is good but I like more weight behind my punch. Little skinny guy or big briuser? Take your pick.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

If the arrow's he's trying to put you in weigh the same as your 2315's, they ain't carbon. They're fiberglass/carbon composite. If they're Carbon Express Terminator Selects, then you wouldn't hurt yourself making the switch. I can't speak to the other composite arrows on the market.

I think the reason many shops are pushing carbon so hard is because they can cover 99% of all possible draw weight/draw length varieties with just a few sizes. With aluminum, they have to stock a lot of different sizes. The shops tie up far less of their operating capital in arrow inventory. It makes sense for shops to promote carbon when you look at things that way. One shop I know of MIGHT have a dozen aluminum shafts behind the counter, but not much more than that.

That presents problems for those of us who prefer aluminum arrows.

I don't have any problem special ordering my aluminum arrows. But, if I have to order them, I can go online and get a lot better deal and probably faster delivery than that shop would give me. Of course, when I'm placing my order for shafts, I might as well order all the rest of the supplies and nicknacks I need and save myself a trip to the shop.

Fortunately, I do business with a shop that stocks the arrows I want.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I personally use carbon arrows
Old 06-24-2004, 02:19 PM

i like carbon arrows better because when they are no good, the shatter and split and completely mess up, with alluminums, the can be untrue and you will never know and you will just keep on shooting them unless you carefully inspect each and every arrow before you shoot.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was thinking much the same thing as what Arthur posted. There aren't many, if any, carbon shafts that weigh the same per inch as a 2315....maybe some of the old "skinny" carbons might...with an outsert.

What shafts are they?

Quick Reply: carbon vs aluminum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.