Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Newbie Question!! >

Newbie Question!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie Question!!

Old 06-23-2004, 09:04 AM

Default Newbie Question!!

I have been deer hunting for a few years and love to rifle hunt, but this year I would like to try bowhunting. I have NO idea on what type of bow I need( draw lenght, let off, sights, etc.) I am 5'9'', 150 lbs. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Newbie Question!!

Stangjo: The best advice i cold give anyone first starting out, Would be go to the archery shop in your town. They can help you with all that stuff. And also answer any question`s you may have
Old 06-23-2004, 09:26 AM

Just out of curiosity how old are you? This really dosen't matter but if you are still young and growing you will likely want to find a bow that is comfortable to draw around the bows mininum weight so as you grow you can crank it up.

$$$$ is another factor. If you're new to bow hunting I willmake it claer that a $600 or $700 bow is not necessary. If you decide you love hunting with a bow there is nothing wrong with dropping the cash but don't be steared into one. Go to a proshop and get measured and shoot some bows until you find one that "feels right"
Old 06-23-2004, 09:31 AM

22 yrs old, I was thinking about getting a used bow to begin with and then purchase a new one if I like it. I just want to be able to get in the woods before all heck brakes loose on opening day of rifle season!
Old 06-23-2004, 09:33 AM

I agree that you don't need a $700 bow to start off with. You may end up w/ $700 when everything is said and done. That includes sights, arrows, rest, broadheads, quiver, etc.

Not sure how you rifle hunt but you may also be in the market for camoflauge, treestands, scents, etc.

Best advice is go to a good proshop and have them walk you through everything. Try shooting a few bows and see what feels good to you. They should measure your drwlength and set you straight.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

these guys will give you lots of advice on the technical aspect of things. One thing not to over look though is the differences in hunting with a bow. Don't force shots that aren't there, do not start tracking right away. Regardless how good you get shooting targets, starting out, I wouldn't press shooting past 20-25 yds on a deer. I'm sure there are more but this is what popped in my head right away. Happy hunting.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Practice judging distance and practice shooting with all your hunting gear on and last but not least---shoot a bow at a comfortable draw weight.jmo.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:44 PM

comfortable draw weight
Very good advise.

Alot of shooting situations occure after you've been motionless in a tree for hours in less than ideal weather conditions. Pulling 70lbs durring the summer and pulling 70 lbs when you are cold and wet or just chilled can be two totally diffrent experiences.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Definitely go the pro shop route.

They should.....

- measure you correctly for draw length and draw weight

- ask what price you are looking to spend for both a bare bow and with accessories. Plan on spending approximately $100 to $150 more than the cost of the bare bow on accessories.

- don't worry about what everyone else is shooting. Shoot what feels most comfortable and accurate for you.

- stay away from any chronographs

Old 06-23-2004, 08:04 PM

i am new to bowhunting too and have done my research for this season. you are 2 inches shorter and only 12 lbs behind me in weight. im shooting a 29-inch drawlenght and 70lbs. youll probably be around this. since your 22 chances of you growing into a new bow are pretty low, so get something that feels great when you shoot it. good luck this season
raim

Quick Reply: Newbie Question!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.