Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Areas that have been logged. >

Areas that have been logged.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Areas that have been logged.

Old 06-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Areas that have been logged.

Taking that sentence out of context like you did really puts the ball in your court! Add to it the following sentence and it is again in mine!

Apology excepted
Old 06-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to agree with these deer slayer,2 to 3 years and it will be attracting more and more deer with it's fresh growth .I hunted an area up north for moose the same year it burned out, and all around the burn was the best hunting I ever experienced. We still seen moose in the burn but the edge of the burn was great for hunting .This was 5 season's ago and this year should be perfect for the moose this season. They say after a burn it takes 5 years for the young growth to develop and that's the best hunting .I'm sure this purtain's to the deer as well. Don't worry this will only benefir your honey hole in the long run ,it will be even better soon.

nubo
Old 06-22-2004, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt it now. Sometimes a chain saw is like ringing a dinner bell for deer. We dropped some trees this year for fire wood and after falling a few and bucking up some wood went to the truck for a break and after 10 minutes I looked out the window of the truck and two deer were feeding on the fallen trees we just laid down. These trees had moss on the limbs and I have learned to hunt these blow downs in the winter when the food source gets thin. The deer are really atracted to this moss. It doesn't take long for green stuff to come up as the logging will open up areas and promote good under growth and increased wildlife. Good luck, Bobby
Old 06-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

Hey, that happens down here in SW MT, too. Sometimes the deer and elk will blitzkrieg the loggers to get at that moss almost before the tree hits the ground.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

When i bought my property it was right after the land had been select cut leaving a few big oaks.Now is the time to shape the land how you want it!Get out there and make nice big,wide trails where ever you want 'em.Plan ahead and find where the deer will come from and where they travel.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

In the sections of my hunting area where they clearcut the deer tend to stay to the fringes of the clearcut for the first year or two. After that it gets so thick that they use the clearcut almost exclusively to travel from one section to the next...and, ofcourse, for food.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Your honey hole just got better.... if you're a gun hunter. Personnally I hate seeing deer 200 yards away...but then I'm always carrying a bow. SEriously, as soon as green stuff starts growing in that cutter area the hunting starts getting better. The second and third years should be even better. After a few years it becomes so thick they really don't need to leave it to hide.... but the food is still there and so are the deer. I suspect if you find a high point overlooking it and glass at last light you'll be surprised at the activity there. Deer will head for the bigger woods for the first year or two. They're quite predictable as to where they'll enter and leave. The have their favorite stagging areas for standing and watching before entering the open ground. Plan your access routes wisely and have fun.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Looks like I need to re-educate myself the next few years here. I do realize the spot will only inprove with time. Thanks for all your comments.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

An area recently logged off can be a great boon to hunters if they want to put in a little time and work. With the big stuff gone you can start creating your own trails and with a little trimming keep them open from yeat to year. The new growth will give great browse.....
Old 06-24-2004, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

We logged our property (select cut) in '99 and it has gotten better every year since. There's so much browse now it's unbelievable. Some areas are really thickening up also, and the deer tend to stay on our place much more. Before it was all mature hardwoods and the only deer we saw were the ones passing through. I look for it to continue to improve for many years to come.

Quick Reply: Areas that have been logged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.