Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What shaft material do you currently hunt with? >

What shaft material do you currently hunt with?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Aluminum
28.73%
Carbon
60.82%
Wood
1.87%
Aluminum/Carbon (ACCs)
8.58%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

What shaft material do you currently hunt with?

Old 07-18-2004, 10:08 PM

Default RE: What shaft material do you currently hunt with?

Alum. Eastons.........I like them
Old 07-20-2004, 02:09 PM

A/C/C's here
Old 07-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

pse carbon force competition pro

Brian
Old 07-21-2004, 08:02 PM

I switched to carbons last year, I was using aluminum, Easton 2216 now I use Buckmaster 4000 carbon arrows, I like the way they fly through everything!
Old 07-22-2004, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

i shoot carbon express
Old 07-22-2004, 10:55 PM
Spike

I started with alum. then switched to carbons. I got tired of trying to figure out if the arrow was bent or if I caused the last stray shot. I then switched back to alum. I felt the carbons were too light and did not give me the kinetic energy I was use to with the alum. However, they now make heavier carbon arrows. I think this will be the best of both worlds, and I might give them a try this year.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

You can't beat carbon I don't care how much you try!
Old 07-23-2004, 10:45 PM

Hey, I didn't mean to ruffle you feathers...but being a professional in the industry, and a CERTIFIED EASTON ARROWSMITH (educated and certified by employees of Easton Aluminum Inc. to understand the physics and characteristics of arrows and their use) it is my job to make sure people understand the facts before what they have been told could be mis-construed. According to your thought process regarding stiff arrows...you are right they will seem to fly straight and probably will...however, if they are OVER-SPINED ( not the stiffer arrow for that setup on a selection chart) they will possess less velocity, and trajectory than If you shot an arrow that was spined properly to the bow setup. Shooting an arrow that is over spined is the easy way out of going through the motions of tuning you set up....yes your arrow will fly straight...but you will sacrifice energy and trajectory. If you feel that what I had said to be un-true, you can ask any physics professor or any bow technician about what I said and you will find that they agree with me. I never ment for you to assume I felt aluminums were inferior in performance to that of carbon...I should have chosen my words better to state that carbons, across the board, have better characteristics than aluminums after the shot and, that compared to aluminums, are more durable during normal usage. But, regarding your non-belief that aluminums don't loose straightness, if you watch slow motion videography of an arrow shot into such a 3Dtarget you can SEE how they become less straight. Yes, it is a matter of choice I WILL NEVER ARGUE THAT. In fact I stated that at the end of my last posting. I will never try to tell a person that they should use one type over another...I will let them make up their own mind. About quality control for the money...many carbons are now about equal in straightness to the more popular aluminums out there and within about the same price range. Most of the carbons produced by Easton/Beman (same company) are in the same price bracket ($60.00 dzn) as Easton's most popular XX75 with uni-nocks and only differ in straightnes to them by .001"...un-noticeable by any hunter at any normal hunting distance. However, if you like stiff shafts...and are truely thinking of trying a carbon again as you said...check out the Carbon Express Terminator Hunter arrows...they are stiff and as heavy as most aluminums out there and are virtually indestructable. You know what...I WILL EVEN SEND YOU A COUPLE TO TRY FOR FREE!! They are made for Cabela's by Carbon Express, the only difference is that Cabela's name is on it and not Carbon Express). Now these arrows are about .006" in straightness...however...they do offer the Terminator Hunter Select arrows wich are straight to .003" (same as any XX75)and are just as heavy as the non-select model. I will even send you a video showing the slow motion stuff as I said...I am not trying to sway your opinion or change your mind...you wanted it scientifically...I will give it to you. Email me an address to send it to and I will gladly do so...please give me your feed-back as well!! With out getting too long I could also tell you how easy it is to refletch and to take care of carbons as compared to aluminums. Just as easy...just a different process not any more complicated.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:52 PM

About kinetic energy...the arrow has very little to do with KE if the setup is exactly the same...it has more to do with the bow and the energy it is able to give the arrow upon the shot. KE will vary only slightly between 2 arrows of different materials. This is a common KE equation used by bow technitians to give kinetic energy...Total Mass of Arrow x the velocity squared...divided by 450240. This will give you the delivered foot pounds of that setup. Just try and find your "happy medium" between speed and arrow mass. But, having said that, the two arrows may appear similar in initial KE (when their velocity is measured through a chronograph at 4 to 6ft), but the lighter arrow will loose energy quicker than the heavier arrow as the shot becomes longer.

An added note...shaft material will have a lot to do with how the arrow retains that energy upon contact with the animal. Aluminum will take longer to recover than a carbon will. Carbon recovers very quickly and drives deeper due to more retained energy after recovery. A great example is look at how much deeper carbon penetrates 3D targets than a comperable aluminum (with similar diameter) shot from the same bow at the same distance.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:53 PM

Carbon, I was setting a bow up for a fella that had a longer draw length than me,and I wanted to shoot it before he go back,I did, and shot over and went through a 3/4 ply wood,took a hammer and drove it back out ,never hurt the arrow or tip,that sold me!

Quick Reply: What shaft material do you currently hunt with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.