Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Meat Hunter.

Old 06-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Meat Hunter.

Well after what happened to my buck from last season.

I am only going to shoot doe's and fill the freezer.

That is unless another big buck comes walking past
Old 06-20-2004, 01:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well i'm both but wouldn't get an trophy animal without taking the meat. I wouldn't be an hunter if i did just that [:@]
Old 06-20-2004, 10:23 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt for the love of the sport. Anything that presents a good shot is in the freezer. I've passed up some small deer but oppurtunities are rare for any deer where I hunt. From now on I'll take any deer, legal of course. Trophy hunters must love burgers!
Old 06-20-2004, 02:20 PM

I consider myself a trophy hunter, but I think of "trophy hunting" in a different way then most do. My idea of a trophy hunter is somebody who manages the deer herd to the best of there abilities to better the deer herd and habitat. I think a trophy hunter is somebody who passes up young buck (4 1/2 or less) and only takes old mature bucks (5 1/2+) who have passed along there genes. I shoot alot of does and some cull bucks each year, but the reason why I'm doing this is to better the overall deer herd. My main goal each year is to get a 150"+ buck that is 5 1/2+. I think everybody would be a "trophy hunter" if they could, meaning that if they had the choice between a 170" buck or a 100 pound doe, they would choice the buck. But in some areas of the country the hunters have no choice but being a "meat hunter" which isint a bad thing. But I'm sure they would rather have the chance to be a "trophy hunter".
Old 06-20-2004, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd like to see the categorizing of trophy hunter's and meat hunters dissappear,because we all hunt mainly for the same reason ,whether he's a trophy or not he's a memory that we'll all be able to share with other's regardless whether it's a big one small one or even an odd ball . Sure if he's big we'll have him on our wall but he still doesn't get wasted .I've gotten small buck's and doe's and i remember them as well as the other's which I haven't got yet THAT WALL HANGER} We all enjoy the hunt that goes with every animal we take and that's what we remember the most . Do you guy's agree with this?

nubo
Old 06-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

TXHighrack,
I too always look for that 150+ buck but haven't had the chance. I've seen a few but not within range. In 1974 I shot my first buck with a Browning BAR .270 at about 300 yards, five minutes after the season opened. He was actually a 12 pointer. Uncle owned 3000 acres of pasture in western Nebraska and we just drove to the top of a canyon wall and glassed for bucks once the sun came up. Took that rack and nailed it to the outside of his shed. If I had to guess, I'd guess it would score about 170. The buck has 4 brow tines about 3 inches each which is why it's a 12 pointer. Anyway, shot a couple other bucks this way and figured out there had to be more to deer hunting than this and picked up a bow. Still have that faded old rack out in the garage somewhere. Since then I've shot lots of Does and have had to work a lot harder for them. Therefore I'm really proud of them. Make no mistake, I'd love to shoot a 150+ with my bow and maybe will someday. I'd love to have the property I used to be able to hunt but it's since been sold, so I have to do with what little ground I have. Does or Bucks...I'll take whatever the good Lord allows and be proud.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:00 PM

Of course i look for the +150 class buck, who doesnt. But i also look for that tasty doe walking past. I am 15 an i shoot whatever walks past. The only trophy hunter that i would set aside from the general deer hunting group would be the one that doesnt care about the meat. One that will stick one late at night and leave it until morning and cut the rack off and leave the rest there.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

SHARPSHOT ! those guy's that do that aren't in our class and I don't call them hunters .They are POACHERS not hunters ,they don't belong in our category. They have no pride and I'm sure if they looked in the mirror they couldn't possibly feel the same as we do about our achievements. They forget about those hunt's and the little details and we don't forget any details about how each hunt occur's.

nubo
Old 06-20-2004, 10:43 PM

i'm a meat hunter ......if a big buck walks by.....i'm gonna take him...but i like shooting does to......they are all trophies
Old 06-21-2004, 05:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I right now feel like I should be an exterminator. There are way too many deer now and more need to be dropped. They are out of control. They are no longer respected in many communities and have become a common pest. That is where I am at fault. I should be doing my part and filling all of my tags. I'm guilty of contributing to this mess.

I don't really care for the meat anymore. There was a day that I did. I remember telling myself how I would always be a meat hunter not out for the sport. My how times change. I really blame it on how busy my schedule is. I don't have time for dealing with the meat, I give it all away. I want the monster and nothing less. I only hunt my choice areas that I expect to see the big ones. I have a few choice properties that hold biggens daily. I have opened some of my own property to hunters who want meat.

Good luck next season.

Quick Reply: Meat Hunter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.