Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 killing big buck.....luck or you did your job >

killing big buck.....luck or you did your job

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

killing big buck.....luck or you did your job

Old 06-18-2004, 12:48 PM

Default killing big buck.....luck or you did your job

killing a nice buck.......is it luck or did you scout him out .....i scout real hard.....all i see is a bunch of does and small bucks......
but i brought one of my buddys to my place and he bags a nice 8 point.......luck.....
just wondering what you think
Old 06-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: killing big buck.....luck or you did your job

If you rely soley on luck........don't expect a bunch of those 8pts hanging on your wall.

Put as many things in your favor as you can manage.......stand placement/location, wind, scent control etc etc. and if you have the big bucks in your area eventually it SHOULD happen. A little luck never hurts, but to say killing a good buck consistently is luck? I would say that's 100% false.

I could go stand on the shoulder of the road by the guardrail of Route 74 next to a deer crossing sign and eventually get lucky........would I expect that to work consistently?

A lot of things need to go right to put yourself in a position to nail a big deer.......or you might just get lucky and the starts align and it happens through no preparation practice or knowledge. I personally want to make as many things as I can "Go right" for me, then all I need is a LITTLE luck.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:58 PM

The world is full of one hit wonders.....and a big un can walk under anyone at anytime
Old 06-18-2004, 01:00 PM

I think there's ALWAYS, without exception, at least a slight element of luck to it. I arrowed a big boy last fall. I had never seen him before, and he came through hot on the heels of a doe. It was basically random chance that presented a shot opportunity for me. They weren't on a trail. The doe was merely trying to elude the buck. On the other hand, I scouted the area thouroughly and chose my stand site because it seemed a likely funnel area. That was strategic. I had practiced and was confident in my accuracy. I nailed him good. Nothing lucky 'bout that.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA
Put as many things in your favor as you can manage.......stand placement/location, wind, scent control etc etc. and if you have the big bucks in your area eventually it SHOULD happen.
This is a good point. Do it once, and it's luck. Do it twice, and it's conincidence. Do it three times, and you're doing a lot of things right.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:24 PM

Luck? Yes and no. My biggest to date is a 180# 10 pointer. Definately what I consider a good deer for the aera. I had seen this deer while preseason scouting (lighting fields) but had no idea that he frequented my property better than 3 miles from where I had seen him. I'm positive it was the same deer due to a limp that it had.

I did all my homework and set up in what is now my honey hole. It just so happened that he wandered through while I was on stand one day. I had seen other bucks and had the herd patternes to a tee but never knew this guy was around. So, luck? If luck is being at the right place at the right time blindly then yes! If doing your homework to find a good setup results in stumbling into a shooter I say no.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: adams

Luck? Yes and no. My biggest to date is a 180# 10 pointer. Definately what I consider a good deer for the aera. I had seen this deer while preseason scouting (lighting fields) but had no idea that he frequented my property better than 3 miles from where I had seen him. I'm positive it was the same deer due to a limp that it had.

I did all my homework and set up in what is now my honey hole. It just so happened that he wandered through while I was on stand one day. I had seen other bucks and had the herd patternes to a tee but never knew this guy was around. So, luck? If luck is being at the right place at the right time blindly then yes! If doing your homework to find a good setup results in stumbling into a shooter I say no.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with adams luck yes and know! we all know that luck plays a part from time to time but when you scout and you know there is one of those bigboys around in your area. The deer will not always walk the same pattern day after day so if you move your stand a bit to try to put him in one of your shooting lans and one morning or afternoon he walks by. Thats not luck! you picked the right stand and he picked the wrong trail
Old 06-18-2004, 03:54 PM

This is a good point. Do it once, and it's luck. Do it twice, and it's conincidence. Do it three times, and you're doing a lot of things right
... yep
Old 06-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a 140" 10pt last fall....it was an area the I hadn't ever hunted before that morning. I scouted the day before and saw really good rubs and scrapes and heavy trails. I set up and at 6:55am I loosed an arrow.....LUCK was on my side that day in more ways than one. This year I'll be feeling good if I can repeat with another good buck. I'll start thinking I'm getting good with 3 and anything big after that my head will swell....then I will be humbled!!!

Quick Reply: killing big buck.....luck or you did your job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.