Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
does your state require you to prove you can shoot >

does your state require you to prove you can shoot

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

does your state require you to prove you can shoot

Old 02-22-2002, 07:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-22-2002, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: does your state require you to prove you can shoot

No profficiency tests for any weapons in Iowa...I would definitely be in favor of such testing though. Hunter Ed is required for those born after 1967.

TB
Old 02-22-2002, 08:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-22-2002, 09:22 PM
Typical Buck

There are a few thoughts I have on the subject of proficiency testing.

1) On the surface, it will stop people who just bought a bow or who are horrible shots from going into the woods with it until they pass the test. Which I am all for. Too many pick up a bow and immediately take it into the woods to get lucky. Or, there are those who can't hit a 3 bale high hay target butt from 15 yards doing the same.

2) On the other hand, you have those who hit the required number of kills out to 30 yards or whatever who take shots out to 60. A test won't stop that from happening.

3) I don't like giving a governmental agency that kind of power over us. It would leave bowhunters open to attack from those who would regulate us out of hunting.

To be honest, I don't know what the right decision would be. Should we ask for more regulations and laws? Should we find a way to regulate it ourselves by using bowhunters to police other bowhunters? or, Should we ignore the existing problems in hopes that they will go away or be ignored by the powers that be? Are those our only options? I have no idea where we should take this.
Old 02-22-2002, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

ABM- THE FIRST PROFICIENCY TESTING WAS JUST THAT FOR THE HILLSIDE ANCHORAGE MOOSE HUNT AND I BELIEVE FOR THE FORT RICH HUNTS AT THE SAME TIME ( 4 SHOTS AT A BIGGER THAN LIFE SIZE MOOSE TARGET) NO CLASS... THEN THE CLASS WAS STARTED AND THE SHOOT WAS DOUBLED. AND WAS EXPANDED TO OTHER HUNTS. WE (BOWHUNTERS) GOT A BLACK EYE FROM THE HILLSIDE HUNT BECAUSE OF RIFLE HUNTERS GETTING PERMITS AND THEN BUYING A BOW. THEY PASSED THE SHOOT...SOME AFTER MANY TRYS. AND IT WAS STILL A REAL MESS ... OVER ALL I THINK IT IS A GOOD THING BUT YOU ONLY HAVE TO PASS IT ONCE AND YOU MAY NOT GET A PERMIT FOR 10-12 YEARS THEN KNOCK THE DUST OFF AND GO AFTER THE MOOSE. UNFORTUNATELY THATS HARD TO REGULATE.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:00 PM

boy bullhound i found that idaho page, what a mess. and i found out i just missed my local shoot. damn. but back to the test, im gonna have to go the anti-govt perspective on this one. i think we have too many laws right now that are to hard to enforce. why make more? is this really gonna do something to make our sport better? or is it just another way for the govt to control the actions of a mainly law obiding group of people. i hope we as a group can teach our youth "the right ways" and not have someone tell us what they think is the right way.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:04 PM

Proficiency testing would at best give everyone a warm fuzzy feeling about the general level of expertise of the average bowhunter. At worst it would be another governmental SNAFU that creates one more brainless bureacracy headed by a political appointee who doesn't know the difference between a broadhead and a field tip.

Reality must rule. Washington state government projects a $1.6 billion (yes, billion with a B) budget deficit this year, mostly due to decrease tax revenues. There is no way that it will create an expensive program designed to eliminate marginal hunters who pay the same license and tag fees as proficient hunters.

The Mouse
Old 02-22-2002, 10:40 PM

Good Idea I would like to see it in Wa. Know of 3 bulls just last year that got away and were later found dead. Also two of the bull my family shot had broadheads imbedded way back in the rump. (Pinnacle of poor shooting)
Old 02-22-2002, 10:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

We don't have a test and I would not be in favor of one
Old 02-22-2002, 11:49 PM

Just because you pass a test, Does not mean you are an ethical hunter! And it does not mean you will score on all your shots. Pinnicle of a poor shot comes from no practice. S*@T happens and iam not for it...

Quick Reply: does your state require you to prove you can shoot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.