Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 is the moon the whitetail rut trigger? >

is the moon the whitetail rut trigger?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is the moon the whitetail rut trigger?

Old 06-25-2004, 08:15 AM

Default RE: is the moon the whitetail rut trigger?

Like many of life's mysteries it is most probably a combination of factors that set off breeding activity. Why do geese fly south, squirrels start hiding nuts, trees stop their summer cycle, all are mysteries that have one thing in common. That common thread is the amount of daylight available in a particular latitude/longitude at a particular time of year. We can gain knowledge about the rut through reading, our own experiences, etc. etc.. Bottomline it is a fairly accurate time period that is affected not only by light but most likely a combination of factors such as temperature, precipitation, food availability etc.. The critters we are after seem to have an innate sense to notice all these changes, process that information and then mysteriously the breeding buttons click on. Could it be that there really is a master plan? Sorry A.C.L.U. I like to observe these mysteries of life and merely use rutting tables, sun light tables etc. as GENERAL GUIDELINES.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:42 AM
Fork Horn

I do not have any websites but have red articles in the hunting mags that have delt with the urin producers. And actually I don't rember which Mag it but I think Wildlife Reserch states the use of artificail light in there add. I will look at the mag to give you an name when I get home in the morning.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Phermones released in the estrus urine from a doe only have a life of about 6-9 minutes, so even if the estrus urine is bottled, the phermones don't survive. Your just getting the urine, not the live phermones. It's these phermones that are truely the key to attracting bucks. A buck knows shes ready and must be bred once he smells these specific estrus phermones. The day a doe comes into heat is specific to that doe and is triggered by photoperiodism which is truely the only constant varaible in the rutting equation. This in turn allows veteran bucks to "date" certain does and consequently know right when to show up in their area to breed them. This is a great way to pattern specific bucks, if you know the does he targets and the dates of which the doe comes into heat. Once his business is finished he will then move on to another doe area to check up on other does that he knows their specific estrus days.

As far as the moon goes, from what I have read and observed in the wild, it simply can sway one way or the other daytime "rutting activity". Photoperiodism triggers the doe estrus cycle and no matter what the moon is doing if she is eminating these phermones, bucks are going to be in tow.

This buck below is a classic example of a a buck showing up on a doe I had been watching on a specfic day and every year for the past 3 years after the 25th of November, she has mature bucks show up in her area, just like clockwork. Notice the gouge mark in this bucks throat from fighting.

Old 06-26-2004, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow nice buck stud, man if lived out there i reckon i would kill big deer like that too. Big deer in ohio like that but man you would never be able to watch these deer they are all in the woods and seldom come out. Except the first 10 day before the rut, that is when i spend most of my time in the stand