Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How fast does a bucks antlers grow? >

How fast does a bucks antlers grow?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How fast does a bucks antlers grow?

Old 06-10-2004, 08:10 AM

Default How fast does a bucks antlers grow?

I read somewhere that a bucks antlers will grow and inch a week on average or something like that. I got a couple of cam pics of some bucks a couple of weeks ago that were out to their ears here in Indiana. Just curious as to how fast and how much they will grow.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:15 AM

Default RE: How fast does a bucks antlers grow?

It all depends on the deers nutrition and genetics. The antler will grow until about the very end of august , depending where you live.

To give you some in sight I saw a full 8 point with 6 to 8 inch tines already so to now how much your deer will grow is tough to estimate.

Oh, just so you know the inch of growth is including all tines together, not meaning each tine will grow a inch each in a week.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not know how fast it grows, but I read that scientists are studying the antler growth of the whitetail because it is one of the fastest growing tissues known to man.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:50 AM

but I read that scientists are studying the antler growth of the whitetail because it is one of the fastest growing tissues known to man.
Actually the Moose antler is the fastest growing tissue
Old 06-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I'm not mistaken I believe I read or saw somewhere that antlers can grow an inch in one day. An in inch in one week can't be right otherwise bucks would only get like 15-20 inches of bone a year since they're only growing from around mid April to late August(at least here in NW PA). If I can find any info I'll be sure to post it.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Jason N

If I'm not mistaken I believe I read or saw somewhere that antlers can grow an inch in one day. An in inch in one week can't be right otherwise bucks would only get like 15-20 inches of bone a year since they're only growing from around mid April to late August(at least here in NW PA). If I can find any info I'll be sure to post it.

Jason you are right, Tr had a article on it and said the same thing. You can find it on his site.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Newshooter, I was just purusing a couple of hundred thousand links about antler growth....I haven't found one yet that gave a definitive answer, but that all state that antlers grow extraordinarily fast!
Old 06-10-2004, 09:37 AM

Antlers grow over the course of a 200 day period. How much they grow per day depends on the amount of protein and other minerals in their diet as well as genetics. It will vary from deer to deer
Old 06-10-2004, 09:51 AM

The new issue of Outdoor Life has a whole article on antler growth. I havnt had a chance to read it yet but they had a series of pictures from a single buck and the stages of antler growth, its pretty amazing how fast those things grow.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:22 PM

I always though that they grew just like a humans fingernails at a rate 2 times faster but i dont really know ...Im not a deer
lol

Quick Reply: How fast does a bucks antlers grow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.